Penn 109 dog & dog spring

Started by azucha, August 25, 2014, 04:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azucha

Does anyone have a picture of how the dog & dog spring mount on the Penn 109?  I managed to allow the spring to jump twice and relocate it, but lost it on the third handling.

This is my first rebuild of a Penn.  Trying to change out drag washers and didn't see exactly where the dog and spring mounted.  I looked at the Penn 209 tutorial but it has a different set up.  Didn't find one for the 109.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.  Glad to find this site.  I have my grandfathers Penn and Shakespeare reels.  Penn 109, 209, 65 Long Beach (2), Shakespeare Direct Drive No. 1924 (3) and Shakespeare Service 1944.  I could buy new reels but I like using the vintage items that I used as a child.  Inland saltwater fishing in bays mostly -- specks, reds, croaker, sand trout, and flounder are objects of interest.  I do have a new Penn spinning reel for "actual" catching, lol.

Al

foakes

Hi Al, Welcome--

Is this what you need?

This orientation is correct -- I pulled some parts out of the parts bins to put this pic together for you -- along with the section of the schematic for a 109M.

If you have lost the spring, PM me with your address -- and I'll get one in the mail to you tomorrow.

If this is the reel you have, it has one of the easiest dog & spring set-ups to install -- once you know the trick.

Just install the dog as pictured onto the proper brass pivot pin on the side plate -- gingerly and carefully install the spring in the slot cut into the sideplate, resting under pressure against the tail of the dog -- quickly install the bridge and sleeve over the alignment pins (this will now hold the spring in place without flying into the twilight zone).  Holding the bridge down with your finger -- make sure the dog is clicking properly with the gear sleeve ratchet wheel.  Snug up your bridge screws, and your done.

These are small but strong reels -- some HT-100 CF drags greased with Cal's Drag grease, would really improve the smoothness and longevity of your drag system.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

azucha

Thanks!  I have the springs on order, but I appreciate the offer.  I read about grease or not grease drag washers, but understand a light coat of Cal's universal drag grease would help.  I'll give it a try.  Installing the drag washers seems to have cut down on star wheel's rotation.  Down to about 1 rotation.  I'll give it a test and keep you informed of progress.

You are the best for sending pictures.

foakes

Hi Al --

2 things you might try, if you wish to --

You are right about a light coat of Cal's Drag grease -- on these small conventionals with the small drag washers, I just really impregnate both surfaces liberally, then wipe off as much as possible with a smooth cotton material (nothing that will leave lint, old cotton sheet material works, or clean paper towels).

Next, for more star drag adjustment and travel -- try a little shorter spacer (the part that goes over the sleeve)between the star and the drag stack.  This will allow a finer range of adjustment and more star drag travel -- important when fishing these reels.

No use doing the drag grease if you won't have enough adjustment when finished.

Post a couple of pics when you are done with this reel and other reels.  We need to see your good work!

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Quote from: azucha on August 25, 2014, 06:06:11 PM
Installing the drag washers seems to have cut down on star wheel's rotation.  Down to about 1 rotation. 

I like to set up my reels with CF drag washers so they have a slight amount of pressure on the drag with the star backed up all of the way.  I have a variety of keyed, CF and Bellville spring washers in several thicknesses I use to adjust the rag stack height.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

azucha

Thanks for all the responses!  I have both the Penn 109 and 209 reassembled and apparently functioning.  Only with the help provided by the board members would this have been possible.

Don't see much need to post pics of ordinary old Penns, but after I get line on them I will.  Look very naked with no line.