Senator Beauty Ring/Trim Ring Trick

Started by broadway, August 25, 2010, 03:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to pass on a trick that may just save you some $ and prevent you from pulling the hair out of your head (like I did).  As some of you know I've been working on a Senator collection for about 5 months now amassing an empire of senators, new and used, vintage and non-vintage.  One of my very first reels, oddly enough was the big guy, the 118 16/0.  When I bought it my plan was to clean her up and lube her like I was gonna use her.  I cleaned/ lubed her up, and as i was closing her up I noticed that I couldn't fit the lugs in, nor could I put the seemingly shrunken beauty/trim rings on... I don't get it...Hmmm?  I pm'ed Alan about the situation, and I can't remember if I posted something to you all as well, but I finally got it.  Alan had prescribed taking a small file to the sideplates, which would've probably worked if he did it, but I didn't have the confidence so I called MysticParts (The Holy Grail).  I spoke to a very knowledgeable gal (didn't get her name, sorry) who told me to simply heat the rings (Placed on top of the toaster) and chill the sideplate in the fridge/freezer... HOLY CRAP, that's it!  It worked!!!  Thanks so much to that helpful angel that allowed me to keep my sanity and thanks to mysticparts for their great customer service... Top Notch!  Good luck and hope this helps someone.
Dom

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Well,  I just finished the assembly of the 16/0 Beast!  That's the hardest Senator I've done so far.  I learned that you can't even put the fiber washer on the gear sleeve before you fasten the bridge down.  Then you have to spin the pinion to seat the main gear properly, and finally install the drag stack.  The dog on a 4/0 is a cinch compared to the 16/0, and due to the size and compression that thing shot all over my studio tonight, but got it in.  Another thing to watch for is that the eccentric lever/ screw is a press to fit part it seems.  Just a bit of info on the heating and cooling of the rings and sideplates.  The easy one is the non-handle side, due to the fact that you can use the posts to make sure the rings stay put.  The handle side is a bit more difficult... at least till I figured it out.  The first try was- rush to get the rings on the plate, and try to assemble before the rings cooled down and popped off.. not happening.  Realizing all I had to do was get the ring under the eccentric lever, and mess with the other after the rest of the reel was assembled, so I did.  After I got the outer ring under the eccentric lever I put the reel together, and put the whole thing back in the fridge. Waited about one hour then heated the inner ring on top of the toaster oven for about 15 minutes.  When I went to put it on I came to find the outer ring had popped off and won't seat properly due to the cooling in the fridge... back to the drawing board.  Last shot after racking my brain was to heat the rings together on the toaster and cool the sideplate once again only this time I'm gonna clamp it.  I used 6 medium sized bulldog clamps and squeezed the two rings on the plate.  After about 20 minutes I took the clamps off, and Voila! I left the outer ring on and removed the other.  Eventhough, the outer ring was loose I guess the sideplate molded/stretched the ring to the proper size to fasten down. After I assembled the reel I was able to put it all together snug as a bug.  Hope this helps.  When I get one of my friends to show me how to use a computer for something other than buying fishing equipment or talking fish/ equipment with you guys I'll post a ton of photos, Alan.  Sorry about my computer illiteracy guys.  Good Luck with this one guys...it's a monster... It's like holding a loaded dinner plate at a BBQ for, in my case over 2 hours... Hello Carpal Tunnel :)
Dom

Irish Jigger

Heating/cooling is a very good idea. I used to file the side plates as Alan has suggested when replacing the older chromed brass rings. Replaced a new set of stainless steel rings on a 114H 6/0 last week by squeezing them on using the bench vice.Very quick, just line up one screw hole using a small screwdriver and use a piece of leather in the vice to protect the rings.

broadway

Jigger,

I tried something like that on a vintage 2/0, and all ya heard was C-R-A-C-K! You're obviously better/more careful than I.  You would be shocked how easy the heating/ cooling trick is.  You can still handle the rings so maybe they got to 140 degrees?  The sideplate cooling would take about 20 minutes in the freezer.  Also,  just a suggestion, you may wanna grease the sideplate before the freezer, but do the rings after so as not to bake on or thin out.  I love hearing and applying these tricks of the trade.
Dom

Irish Jigger

broadway,
             maybe I was luckier than you. I was in a rush but will certainly try your heating/cooling method next time and report back.Side plates with "Made in USA" on are expensive and becoming difficult to obtain now.

broadway

Jigger,

You ain't kiddin'...That was a $30 mistake on my part.  Do the China sideplates even fit the USA made.  I've heard they don't, but haven't tried yet. Maybe the heating/cooling trick will work for them too:)
Dom

Norcal Pescador

The helpful lass at MysticParts was probably Mo.  

Glad to hear the Beast has been tamed!

Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Thanks Rob,

Mo's a life saver.  That 16/0 beast was the most difficult to tame thus far, but that just makes me love her more.
Dom