Juddering HT-100 drag

Started by mike1010, August 31, 2014, 11:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010

I recently rebuilt the drag stack on my Surfmaster 200 using Penn parts from Scott's aka mysticparts.com (plus the carbon washer under the main gear replacing the fiber one).  I used Cal's liberally on all of the drag washers.  Setting the drag for my first post-overhaul trip with the reel, I was surprised to experience drag startup judder.

The reel is spooled with 30 lb. mono.  With the reel on the rod, I tie the line to a gallon jug full of water (8 lbs and noise) and set the drag to lift it just clear of the ground.  Using  other reels, the jug takes line smoothly.  Not so here.  It is hard to see how I could have screwed up the drag stack rebuild, simple as it is.

Thoughts?  Thanks.

--Mike

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

foakes

The 200s are a great reel.  All the Surfmasters are very good.

Assuming the drag stack is new for both the HT-100s and the SS metal discs -- make sure the order is correct, and that the eared discs are seating properly after installing the bridge assembly.

Also make sure that the under gear CF washer is not too large of a diameter -- enabling it to have a larger radius than the start of the gear teeth -- if the UG washer is too large, it will interfere with the operation of the drag, gear, and in some cases -- the dog & spring.  Some are using a smaller Delrin washer with good results.

Also check for any corrosion or pitting on the inside of the gear, gear sleeve, etc.

Make sure the new drags are the right size...are they slightly loose? -- or too tight?

Check the pin and gear sleeve for smooth operation.

Let us know if there are any issues after these checks.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

Thanks for the prompt reply, Fred.  I've been fishing , and just got a chance to go through your checklist today.  All the mechanicals check out.  (BTW, the gears are new - I started this project after discovering corrosion inside the main gear.  I have also swapped in a stainless gear post and AR dog.)

I see the judder only when the drag is buttoned down to its limits.  Is the issue just that I have actually exceeded the drag limits?  Thanks again.

Regards,
Mike

Keta

"Judderin" means jerky drag? 

Inspect the contact surfaces on your main gear and metal drag washers for bumps gouges or rough spots.  If you have steel gears pitting under the gear can cause this.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mike1010

Yes, jerky on startup.  Gears are new and clean.

Shark Hunter

Make sure your new pinion is engaging the spool correctly. I encountered this problem when mating new pinions to an old spool.
Life is Good!

mike1010

Basic functioning of the reel is there.  How would I further check pinion engagement?

mike1010

Is it expected that all of the carbon and metal washers fit down inside the main gear?  Because the top of the stack sticks up above the gear.

bluefish69

I would check the Yoke for wear at the point where the pinion is mounted.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Ron Jones

As long as the top eared washer is below the top of the main gear you are fine. The top keyed washer is often above the main gear.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Quote from: mike1010 on September 04, 2014, 06:03:44 PM
Basic functioning of the reel is there.  How would I further check pinion engagement?
Life is Good!

alantani

maybe the frame is torqued and the spool is rubbing against the frame.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mike1010

Back at it.  Pinion engagement seems fine.  Don't know about the frame torquing, but I did find a crack in the right side plate, at the hole for the screw the AR dog rides on.  Am now looking to replace the side plate, and will let you know whether that fixes things.  Who knew that 60 year old bakelite could fail :->?

--Mike

Shark Hunter

Greg sells Tiburon frames for these $65 shipped. It is the way to go. I have a custom 5 stack in mine.

Life is Good!

mike1010

No doubt, but it's the old "how much to spend" question.