Okuma CT-30C and CT-30CS, and Pfleuger Contender 30LD Open Bearing

Started by Bryan Young, August 27, 2010, 06:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Alan,

Thank you for helping me open and lubing my bearing on my Pro Gear.  I decided to open the bearings and clean out my Okuma CTs and my LD Pfleuger and lubed them with CorrosionX.  The results

Okuma CT-30C and CT30CS:  Before:  Average 6 seconds freespool.  
                                           After, average 40 seconds.

Pfleuger Contender 30:  Before:  3-5 seconds freespool
                                  After:  15-20 seconds.  This was the reel that would not give me a "freespool" when my drags were set to 10#.   Well, there was more to it.  This reel is designed to be trolled for sure.  There are a lot of friction surfaces in the reel and I cleaned off all of those greased area and applied CorrosionX. Well, free spool did not change.  ??? ??? ???  So, I tried shimming the spool bearings, and that didn't work.  Well, I discovered that my drag plate was not cleanly separating from the drag washer.  Tried shimming this as well to increase the separation of the drag plate.  The result, max 2# drag.   ??? ??? ??? Hmmm, then I pulled all of the shims.  I decided increased the uncoiled length of the spring used to separate the drag plate and the drag washer.  Presto, freespool with max 14# drag.  ;D ;D  I am so stoked.  I can toss some jig if I need to.

I am now on a quest to work on all my bearing on all of my reels.  This stuff is addicting.  

Another epic learning experience with reel results.

Thanks again Alan.  
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

guys, bryan now also knows how to open up the smallest bearings.  you have to use a cutting wheel from a dremmel and notch the outer race and cut up the retaining ring into 3 pieces.  worth it, though. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I'll open up my reel and take a pick of the bearings tonight for all of you to see what Alan is talking about.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Here's a picture of the cut bearing for your reference.  This bearing's retaining ring was so difficult to come out, 2 another addition cut was needed and finally the retaining ring came out.