Leaning towards the dark side

Started by Big Tim, September 07, 2014, 12:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

Ok...After catching a #16 Ling Cod with a #7 Boccaccio on the teaser with an Okuma Cedros 65, I said to myself...Self, why is that you do not have a saltwater Spinning Reel??? Heck I even watched Alan fish with one  ;D ;D ;D
I am leaning towards the Penn Conflict 6000...I want to use it for bottom fish jigging,yellowtail, sea bass ect... Am I way off base?

Tim

Three se7ens

They are great reels.  Metal body and rotor, which is more than the cedros can say.  All in all, it's a hard reel to beat at that price.  I also really like the fin nor Sportfisher and lethal series too.  Pretty comparable, but I'd give th fin nor a slight edge in drag capability. 

Aiala

Quote from: Big Tim on September 07, 2014, 12:55:08 AM
Am I way off base?

Heck, no! Nothing wrong with a spinner; in fact, it can be a total blast... besides casting a country mile. One of my best battles ever was catching a 50-lb YFT on a Penn 750. Took me around the boat five times. Go for it!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Big Tim

Quote from: Three se7ens on September 07, 2014, 01:05:19 AM
They are great reels.  Metal body and rotor, which is more than the cedros can say.  All in all, it's a hard reel to beat at that price.  I also really like the fin nor Sportfisher and lethal series too.  Pretty comparable, but I'd give th fin nor a slight edge in drag capability. 

Been reading here and looking at those as well, but I have a chance to get the conflict new out of box (floor model) for under $100 & no tax or shipping...And the color matches my other black reels  ;D I'm sure thats important! I like the drag and line caps on the Penn and the Fin Nor too

johndtuttle

The idea is to use each type for what they do best and then switch to the other when you are getting tired to stay in the water or just for kicks and grins.

What I mean is that say, Conventional uses your right arm to crank and your left to hold the rod but Spinning uses your right to hold the rod and your left to crank. So for example, fishing jigs if you go back and forth between them you can keep fishing longer by resting the opposite muscle groups.

Conventional is great for casting heavy iron, live bait soaking and cranking power.

Spinning is great for casting light stuff in any direction of the wind, getting distance when needed with a live bait and for using poppers etc that require aggressive retrieves that can be tedious with conventionals due to having to lay the line.

I already have both types mixed in for breaking up the muscle groups being used to stay in the water more.

Gonna add to my quiver a Abu Revo Toro and Shimano Tranx (level wind conventionals for casting) so I can easily cast heavy straight braid and swimbaits for Calicos and surface Tuna.  ;)  Of course, spinners already excel at casting heavy braid but light lures.

Use what feels good! Conditions may determine that one or the other are ideal at a given moment but until you get to the very biggest game fishing spinners can do it too with no real trouble. :)

Big Tim

Good words John...I am waiting on the delivery of my new Penn Conflict CFT6000 ...Under $100!!! I picked this reel because I feel it will give variety line choices and the ability to fish all of the types of fishing I do...Now a rod...More thinking ???

bluefish69

What do you guys call big iron??  I just posted some NE big iron FS on another site.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

johndtuttle

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 07, 2014, 04:04:39 PM
What do you guys call big iron??  I just posted some NE big iron FS on another site.

Mike

6-8oz+.

Spinning does it fine too. You just need finger protection when using braid or the lures get heavy.

bluefish69

John

Big to me in the N.E. is 17 1/2oz - 21oz & 26oz in S.S.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

johndtuttle

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 07, 2014, 11:38:46 PM
John

Big to me in the N.E. is 17 1/2oz - 21oz & 26oz in S.S.

Mike

yep, yep, this is casting stuff with long rods, not deep drop stuff :).

jonnou

Makes sense will have to practice my Lefty
Jon

Ron Jones

I grew up with spinners, and really don't know why you would fish a bass lake with anything else. For me it breaks down to spinniers small fresh, conventional everything else. I have a big spinner, but a Jigmaster is just so much more fun.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MFB

Do not under estimate the power of the dark side.  ;D

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Alto Mare

Quote from: MFB on September 08, 2014, 07:28:09 PM
Do not under estimate the power of the dark side.  ;D

Rgds

Mark
You got that right! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

I can't wait for my new Penn Conflict 6000...Tracking says Wednesday...Went looking at rods today  ;D ;D ;D Does anyone have any input on the Quantum Boca PT rods?