fishing Georgia's coast

Started by bigmike350566, September 09, 2014, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmike350566

I did a quick search and didn't find anything, so can anybody point me in the right direction or help me out? (Also sorry if this is in the wrong section) I live dead in the middle of Georgia and am looking into trying out the fishing on my coast. I typically go out in the gulf with my in laws, but that's a bit of a drive for 1 day on the boat. My mom lives right outside of st Mary's and Savannah is a straight shot for me.
I'll be fishing from the beach/pier. I like hard fighting fish and sharks. Are there any good spots in this two areas? And are there better time of the year? Thanks in advance.
It is better to remain silent and appear ignorant than to speak and remove all doubt.

Three se7ens

Shark fishing is illegal on Tybee. You can be fined for targeting sharks from the pier or beach there.  Incidental catches are fine, just don't look like you are after sharks.  There are 2 piers that are pretty popular, but I haven't fished either. St Simons would be another spot to check out.

I haven't done much fishing from shore here though.  I usually go out in a boat.

theswimmer

Just east of St Marys, south end of Cumberland Is. where the river dumps into the ocean.
The entire shore of the island north to Cumberland sound.
Also the north end of Jekyll Island has a great fishing pier that sticks out into St Simons Sound.
Do not go undergunned as you may hook just about anything especially when casting out into the sounds and rivers.
My family has a house on St Simons and I have fished the area hard. Concentrate on areas where moving fresh water meets the ocean.
Big lures and big fresh bait , in some areas you can wade quite a ways out and I suggest a PDF as a safety measure.
Also big flys like barracuda patterns and big shrimp streamers seem to work best. Check the fish and game regs as they seem to change daily.
Good Luck , I wish it was Me.......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn