Mango Man Strikes Again

Started by Newell Nut, September 09, 2014, 11:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Another great day on the Pastime Princess in New Smyrna Beach, Fl. It sure was a pretty day on the water with some buddies and tourist. I caught several red snappers and convinced 3 mangos that they needed to go home with me. My buddy Chris got 6 big red snappers and no mangos. Both of us got a couple hookups that did not want to leave the reef for a good strain on the rods.
The mangos were caught on my little P 322 with 6 stack drag and a Calstar 700L which is a nice combo.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

One of these days I will come down to fish with you. I have never fished South of N.J.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Come on down Mike. We have a place for you. Fishing is different here than what you are used to but fun just the same.

floating doc

Great picture! I was wondering what you were up to. You had said that it was going to be quiet for a bit, but I still missed seeing your reports.

Look for a PM.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

It never gets old Dwight. Good Job My Man! ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Hey Dwight, how long do those mangos stay around?   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

They are starting to scatter now. 3 weeks ago I got 15 of them one day and 7 trips later I have only landed a total of 5 and friends have only totaled 4 so it will be just a couple a day or one or none. The big red snappers are thick now but can't keep those. Vermilion and sea bass are picking up though.

Mangos here are strong starting late May and going through the summer.

Steve-O

Very Nice....AGAIN! I would love to get one to save for Gyotaku - fish printing. The large scales, slab shape and nice fins really lend that species to printing.

Like this one. not mine but you get the picture.

Newell Nut

What exactly would you do to print a fish?

Steve-O

Here's a thread i did on fish printing last year. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8210.0

The other one is called gyotaku round II.

Basically, you catch a fish, deslime it with a handful of table salt and vigorous scrubbing without knocking the scales off. Then dry the fish, remove the eyeballs which get hand drawn or painted back in later.  The better papers to use are mulberry and or rice. Both will mold to the fish. Cloth like old bed sheets is way easier.

Set up on a table or counter on a large cardboard. Have a roll of paper towels handy. Use acrylics or linoblock ink. Paint the fish. Dab off all excess ink. Position the fish and lower the cloth onto the fish. It's a one shot deal. Tighten the corners and gently rub the fish from nose to tail. Slide one hand under the fin to press with other hand on top. Make sure not to miss any areas. Takes some practice. Best to watch a video or two and practice a few times.

That's about it. If you did it with a fresh caught and still chilled fish you can wash and fillet it then.

TomT

About 15 to 20 years ago my wife and granddaughters bought some T-shirts imprinted in this fashion.  Pretty neat!! 8)
TomT

the rockfish ninja

NN(or is it MM now?), you always post up the tastiest fish. ;)
Deadly Sebastes assassin.