Newell 5:1 Gears in Jigmaster

Started by Norcal Pescador, August 30, 2010, 05:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

I just upgraded my Jigmaster with a set of 5:1 gears from Newell and a 4/0 Kolekar grip and I hope to give it a workout in the next few weeks. The grip part was easy thanks to Pete and Alan. The gears required a little work in order to make them function.

The instructions for enlarging the cavity for the main gear were simple enough as I only had to scrape about 1/64" off the cavity wall so the larger diameter main gear would turn easily. The instructions from Newell also said if you can't back off your drag enough to scrape away the plastic area around the metal insert that the gear sleeve fits through. I did that and no change - it still felt like 10# of drag at the minimum. So I scraped a little more and finally got out the Dremel. After my fourth try of reassemlbing with no change I was pretty frustrated and was about to hit it again tomorrow. Finally the dim light in my head finally went on. I measured the spacer sleeve and found one about .5mm shorter in my parts bin and put it in. Voila! I can go from zero drag to almost total lockdown.

The moral is 1] before you grind, try a replacement part; 2] the instructions are not always right; 3] think about the normal way to solve a similar problem.

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

"The moral is 1] before you grind, try a replacement part; 2] the instructions are not always right; 3] think about the normal way to solve a similar problem."

I should have said, "The moral is . . .  2] the instructions are not always right, except for Alan's; . . . ."

This is one of those Black Box things that screamed "GOTCHA!" at me. Nothing like experience.
Rob

broadway

Norcal,
      Good problem solving... I just ordered the same gearing, and I'm gonna try it in my penn 112h.  Your advice is just in time!  Last night I had to take apart my two umbrella rig reels (113hsp's) due to serious binding in the eccentric lever.  These were 2 of the 4 that I put on steroids- Newell 4:1 gearing, tiburon frame, stainless yoke, and custom handle.  After disassembling twice I come to realize the eccentric jack wasn't able to push the stainless yoke down so the pinion was getting stuck under the bridge.  I thought if the pinion was seated on the spool spindle properly this would be impossible, but I guess not.  I had to change out the stainless yokes with the brass and no problems since.  When I put the stainless yoke on the pinion it is much loser and much more play... The brass yoke hugs the pinion much better... all fixed, but I would like the extra power in my babies... any suggestions? Thanks
Dom

alantani

hey, dom, the pinion gear and yoke are getting stuck, right?  remember that you have four bridge screws, two with short threads and two that are threaded the entire length of the screw.  the yoke springs ride on the screws with the short threads.  any possibility that you mixed the up? 

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: broadway on August 30, 2010, 04:52:17 PM
Norcal,
      Good problem solving... I just ordered the same gearing, and I'm gonna try it in my penn 112h.  Your advice is just in time!  Last night I had to take apart my two umbrella rig reels (113hsp's) due to serious binding in the eccentric lever.  These were 2 of the 4 that I put on steroids- Newell 4:1 gearing, tiburon frame, stainless yoke, and custom handle.  After disassembling twice I come to realize the eccentric jack wasn't able to push the stainless yoke down so the pinion was getting stuck under the bridge.  I thought if the pinion was seated on the spool spindle properly this would be impossible, but I guess not.  I had to change out the stainless yokes with the brass and no problems since.  When I put the stainless yoke on the pinion it is much loser and much more play... The brass yoke hugs the pinion much better... all fixed, but I would like the extra power in my babies... any suggestions? Thanks
Dom

Hey Dom,

More power sounds like Tim 'the tool man" Taylor. Get a Binford 9000 reel! I do have two serious ideas. Get a Kolekar grip from Alan. The bigger-than-stock grips fill your hand well so you don't get cramps in your hand and they feel great! I have big hands so I use the 6/0 and 4/0 sizes. Second is if you've got s/s gears, check out the 98-320AT s/s gear sleeve at PennParts for $25. I think you'll be okay with the brass yoke as it is not in the power train once the pinion is engaged.

Maybe there are more, or better, ideas out there.  Good luck.

Rob
Rob

broadway

Rob,

You're right about those monster handles, I love 'em... that's why I bought 4 or 6 (can't remember) from Alan.  As for the gear sleeve, I forgot to mention I also installed them as well (knew I missed something, actually 2 things- the greased carbontex drags also).  They're as pumped up as can be with the exception of accurate side plates, which I don't think are worth it for my application. Thanks for 2 good recommendations!
     Do you know why the stainless yoke won't work or how to rectify it? anyone...hmmm?

Hey Alan,

The wrong bridge screws would/ has done something similar in the past when I first started, but not this time.  The issue I'm having is happening to all 4 of my wirelining HSP's that I installed the stainless yokes in. It's definitely the yoke cause she flips like a dream now.  As a side note I did find the small hole in the eccentric had gotten bigger/ stripped where the eccentric spring goes.  I believe what causes this is when letting out the wire while trolling a fish grabs on, and the angler then switches to retrieve.  I could be wrong, but it seems to be to 2 out of 2 that I've checked on the wireliners and none of the bottom fishing outfits.  What do ya think?  Thanks
Dom

alantani

i dunno, dom.  for starters, maybe try sticking with the brass yokes for now, then check them in a few months and see if they are worn.  if not, you should be good for a while.  it sure sounds like the stainless steel yoke is getting hung up somewhere........ 

Norcal Pescador

Dom,

Have you checked all of the dimensions of the s/s yokes - the screw hole diameters, thickness, outline, etc.?  Look (do you have a strong magnifying glass?) and feel all of the edges for roughness from the stamping process. Maybe filing the edges exactly flat / perpendicular to the plate if they aren't already. Just more possibilities.

Rob
Rob

broadway

I'm gonna check the yoke more closely, but it looks like the radius where it rounds inward to hold the pinion has less of a radius than the brass one.  The length, thickness, and screw holes line up perfectly.  Alan, I can see the yoke and eccentric sticking when I tilt it with the bridge closed up.  How I figured out it was the yoke was when I tilted it I put a screwdriver under the bridge, and pushed down on the yoke... and that freed it up. After 5 times I knew that was the culprit.  Thanks
Dom

redsetta

Hi all,
I've been in touch with Charkbait to get hold of some Newell high-speed gears for my Jigmaster and 113H but, as others have no doubt found, they're unavailable due to supply issues at Newell.
Any suggestions on where else I might look?
If they're not available, does anyone know where I could obtain a standard ratio SS main gear for my 113H?
I've already upgraded to greased 5+1 HT-100 drag, and SS yoke and gear sleeve (and am now considering Alan's Tiburon option).
Thanks, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Hi Justin -
It's a wild guess, but Dawn at Smoothdrag may have what you're looking for. There's also eBay. Have you given Newell a ring directly? They may have them and just haven't shipped to Charkbait yet. I found that to be true once before. Good luck.
Rob
Rob

Alto Mare

Rob, don't you have a set on your bench? ;D ;D ;D
You're right about calling Newell direct, but believe or not they where raughly $8 higher than Charkbait per set, don't ask me how. :-\, I'm going back at least a year though. It could also be that I used to buy bulk $400 to $500 order at a time. Justin, did you speak with Leeana? she was always able to help me out. About the 5:1 gear ratio, you can only get it for the Jigmaster, I don't think that you'll be able to do better than 4:1 for the 113H.

Hey, does anyone have the Newell or accurate gears for the 114H that doesn't need , if you do drop me a line and  I'll make you a nice offer  ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Great, thanks for all the input - much appreciated.
I'll try Dawn (and Newell direct) and let you know how I go.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Panama

Redsetta,
I just bought a complete set of 5:1 jigmaster 500 gear set (GK-1) from Newell directly. They are right down the street from my house.  I think I paid around $36.  plus CA tax.  It came with drag metal washers, spacing sleeve, tension spring, gear and pinion.  All s/s.  I don't know what CB's set includes.  If you still need this let me know I will be happy to go and pick one up for you next week...As I am very busy this week.
Panama
Get on the water, Man!!!