Newell 5:1 Gears in Jigmaster

Started by Norcal Pescador, August 30, 2010, 05:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panama

Pullrachet,
Why would you want to change the gears in your 505 to newells when they are the same gear ratio..... ???
Get on the water, Man!!!

Alto Mare

Pullrachet,

this is what I was looking for yesterday, but couldn't find it. There was already a discussion on your subject.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20.msg20#msg20
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 15, 2011, 11:15:18 PM
You are correct Anthony,  but we're not too concerned about gear ratio as long as we use parts that mesh. Cool name by the way, that's what I named my son.

Sal: I didn't know you had a son named Panama :-\. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on July 16, 2011, 06:22:39 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 15, 2011, 11:15:18 PM
You are correct Anthony,  but we're not too concerned about gear ratio as long as we use parts that mesh. Cool name by the way, that's what I named my son.

Sal: I didn't know you had a son named Panama :-\. Dominick

Have another zin  Nicky. ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

pullrachet

Quote from: Panama on July 16, 2011, 04:00:27 AM
Pullrachet,
Why would you want to change the gears in your 505 to newells when they are the same gear ratio..... ???

Just wanted to upgrade for added strength etc. 

Bryan Young

By the way, if you didn't know, I poste pics of my 505HS gear and my Newell SS gear for jigmaster.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marco450r

So are the pinion gears interchangeable or not

scrinch

Quote from: Marco450r on April 17, 2019, 07:54:57 PM
So are the pinion gears interchangeable or not

Here's what Alan said in the thread link from Sal above:

"If you are ok with a 4:1 gear ratio, you can use the main and pinion gear set for the jigmaster 500 (in a 505). fyi, you actually can fit the 505 high speed gears in a 500 but you have to do some drilling and grinding."

So it seems that you can use the 500 gears in a 505, but using 505 gears in a 500 requires modification to the inside of the 505 pinion gear due to differences in the spindles of the 500 and 505 spools. I'm not sure if the plate would have to be ground out for a slightly larger diameter gear or not.