The 99 Club

Started by Shark Hunter, September 11, 2014, 04:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 17, 2014, 06:57:36 AM
I just wanted a 99.

Me too, they are not that common now though.  I have a rat and a nice one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

doradoben

For a different perspective, did you have a look at the one Gman built??

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11259.0

Shark Hunter

Yes I did, But I can't make myself modify the original reel. It is in great shape and I want to leave it original now. I went to put it all back together after work yesterday and I can't find that tiny Dog spring. Drats! I must have lost it cleaning the parts in Solvent.
I only gave $35 for the complete reel, shipped. I should have stopped there. The frame cost me $75 and the spool another $40. I will put it them to good use.
Life is Good!

doradoben

I think that you've made a good choice. Your Accurate frame and spool can be completed with parts that will bolt right on for a very nice finished reel.

Aiala

Just out of curiosity, will Tiburon's P29 frame fit a stock Silver Beach 99 (without drilling etc.)?   ???

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

George4741

Quote from: Aiala on September 18, 2014, 03:17:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, will Tiburon's P29 frame fit a stock Silver Beach 99 (without drilling etc.)?   ???

~A~

No.

Quote from: noyb72 on September 17, 2014, 05:40:33 AM
Daron,
I know you aren't a Newell guy, but a Newell YTS frame will fit.

Ron

A Newell YTS reel foot won't fit my 99.  The screw holes are slightly off and don't line up.
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Aiala,
To the best of my Knowledge, There is no aftermarket Aluminum frame made to fit a stock 99. The stand holes are different. I found this out the Hard way. There are all kinds of combinations with different plates, but if you want to keep it stock. No Dice.
Ron says a Newell YTS frame will work. I'm not crossing that Bridge. ;)
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

All my bridges are currently on YTSs, but I'll pull one apart to check.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

:D You misunderstood me Ron. :D
By "not crossing that bridge", I mean I'm not going to do it. ;D
Life is Good!

Big Tim

This should be a dumb question, but you did reach out to Chowderpuff? If it's available he would be my first choice.

Tim

I have another that's going to get the 501 treatment

foakes

Hey Daron --

Dog spring #14-99 -- on its way to you!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Big Tim

Quote from: foakes on September 19, 2014, 01:02:17 AM
Hey Daron --

Dog spring #14-99 -- on its way to you!

Best,

Fred

Reely D.  even I have that spring  ;D Fred I'm glad you bailed him out.

Shark Hunter

When I got home from work this morning, I searched Hi and low. Crawling around under the kitchen table. that is usually where I find it. No luck. I am so use to the surfmasters that have the piece of brass. I cleaned the parts in solvent last weekend. dumped them out, and put them on a rag to dry. I looked out there, It has rained pretty good since then. Its gone. I tried using a different one. its too big. I will order several of these when I place my next order to scotts. My Man Fred hooked me up! ;D
Life is Good!

George4741

Y'all remember how Irish Jigger modified his 99?  Check out this link.

http://alantani.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=q1l5tlb4u40ga9vn7rnuhogla7&topic=6437.msg54778#msg54778

The cut down 500 bars aren't any more rigid than the Newell bars, but it shows how to handle a problem in a very innovative way.  It also gives the old 99 a different look.  I suppose one could use the same idea to adapt a narrow reel foot to a wider reel.
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

I didn't see that one George. Tom does good work! ;)
Life is Good!