The 99 Club

Started by Shark Hunter, September 11, 2014, 04:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Finally scored me a 99. No Jigmaster with a 99 plate. this is the real Deal.
What are the chances of a Decent Silver beach, Accurate frame and spool all showing up at the same time. I figured it was Karma. ;D
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Oh man that's awesome, can't wait to see the final result.  I'd say looks like some perfect timing all around.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark Hunter

Just so everyone knows. A true Aluminum frame was never made for a 99. This has the Jigmaster pattern. trying to make up my mind on drilling and tapping the frame to make a one of a kind reel, or just go with a Jigmaster 99. :-\
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Stick with the SilverBeach.   Mod the frame and show us how it's done!

I'm subscribed!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

I'd keep it stock.  If you "need" a 3:1 99 width reel use Surfmaster 250 side plates with the 99 width 500 frame and spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

There are so many options on these smaller penns. I purposely bought this frame for a 99. The box even says for penn 99. I just wanted to trick out a silver beach. I really have no need for any of these Mods. I am just feeding my addiction.:P If I tap it, then it will be a universal frame for 99 width. I know I have a 501 from Al I am going to put a Tib frame on and The BP 5:1 Full Monty. The Franken Reel is a Venture I would rather not start, Because I know I will get it mixed up. "Is this A Jigmaster frame with 250 sideplates and 4:1 gears? Or is it a Silver Beach 3:1 With a Jigmaster Frame and a 99 spool? Is it a 99 spool in a Tib frame with BP 5:1 Gears?" Maybe down the road, I'll be as Slick as You and Sal Lee! ;)
Life is Good!

Big Tim

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 13, 2014, 04:29:38 AM
There are so many options on these smaller penns. I purposely bought this frame for a 99. The box even says for penn 99. I just wanted to trick out a silver beach. I really have no need for any of these Mods. I am just feeding my addiction.:P If I tap it, then it will be a universal frame for 99 width. I know I have a 501 from Al I am going to put a Tib frame on and The BP 5:1 Full Monty. The Franken Reel is a Venture I would rather not start, Because I know I will get it mixed up. "Is this A Jigmaster frame with 250 sideplates and 4:1 gears? Or is it a Silver Beach 3:1 With a Jigmaster Frame and a 99 spool? Is it a 99 spool in a Tib frame with BP 5:1 Gears?" Maybe down the road, I'll be as Slick as You and Sal Lee! ;)

Dude...Have a Beer...And build a Franken Penn 250199

Keta

. "Is this A Jigmaster frame with 250 sideplates and 4:1 gears? Or is it a Silver Beach 3:1 With a Jigmaster Frame and a 99 spool? Is it a 99 spool in a Tib frame with BP 5:1 Gears?" Maybe down the road, I'll be as Slick as You and Sal Lee! ;)

The 250 Surfmaster conversion is easy, even easier if you don't replace the offside side plate.  Just loosen the takedown screw, twist off the handle side plate, put on the "new" side plate and tighten the takedown screw.

Because of the Spectra ban on the "challenge" >:( I took apart my 99 width 250, took apart a 500/501 to use, took the spectra off >:( and filled the spool with Dacron line.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on September 13, 2014, 09:47:00 PM
. "Is this A Jigmaster frame with 250 sideplates and 4:1 gears? Or is it a Silver Beach 3:1 With a Jigmaster Frame and a 99 spool? Is it a 99 spool in a Tib frame with BP 5:1 Gears?" Maybe down the road, I'll be as Slick as You and Sal Lee! ;)

The 250 Surfmaster conversion is easy, even easier if you don't replace the offside side plate.  Just loosen the takedown screw, twist off the handle side plate, put on the "new" side plate and tighten the takedown screw.

Because of the Spectra ban on the "challenge" >:( I took apart my 99 width 250, took apart a 500/501 to use, took the spectra off >:( and filled the spool with Dacron line.

Lee: You can even use gut line...I am going dacron because of you! I had a heck of a time casting that crud on my 500...Going to have to build a 501 or 506 and I'm looking at a Truline 8 footer too ;D ;D ;D Frankenstien that thing Daron

Shark Hunter

Sorry Al, but the votes have it. Frankenstein it is. I drilled and tapped the first hole in the frame and they are so close to the edge of the frame, I was worried about ruining it. I don't have a drill press, just simple hand tools. I will keep the 99 stock and make a Franken reel 99 250 with the frame.
I notice the gear in the 99 is recessed at the bottom?
Life is Good!

doradoben

It's probably just as well that you don't drill holes in that frame freehand, Daron. It's very nice and has been out of production for quite some time. If you damage a Tib frame, at least another current one can be bought. Good luck with your project which ever way you decide to go. 

DaBigOno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 14, 2014, 05:58:56 PM
Sorry Al, but the votes have it. Frankenstein it is.

That's ok Daron, I'm still subscribed.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 14, 2014, 05:58:56 PM
I drilled and tapped the first hole in the frame and they are so close to the edge of the frame, I was worried about ruining it.

Any close up pics of this?
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

TomT

I got interested in this post for a different reason.  I used to live in Central Ca and the main highway running thru here was Highway 99.  One of our local bars was named the 99 Club---- ;D ;D ;D ;)
TomT

Ron Jones

Daron,
I know you aren't a Newell guy, but a Newell YTS frame will fit. As will 99 bars. One of these days I will build a true Albacore Special with a Newell YTS frame, Newell 99 bars and spool and a 500 sideplate built with all the goodies. I already have a 99 width Newelled 500 that I am crazy about, but the 99 just has to be made.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

I just wanted a 99. I will put a Jigmaster 500 or 250 plates on this frame.
Life is Good!