12/0 sleeve shimming

Started by Shark Hunter, August 29, 2014, 04:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I was worried about my last 12/0 build after a comment from John. aka Tightlines. His quote was " The sleeve loses strength by not fully sitting on the stepped portion of the gear shaft." I had a shim under the sleeve I fabricated and it was .35 thick. I finally broke down and got some .10 shim from Mcmaster Carr. I swapped the sleeve and it only needed two. I can sleep better now! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Thanks John! I never thought about the stress I was putting on the gear shaft until you mentioned it.
I also put the Delrin on the Top and Bottom of this one. There is always something to learn here, No matter how much you think you know! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 29, 2014, 04:43:10 AM
I was worried about my last 12/0 build after a comment from John. aka Tightlines. His quote was " The sleeve loses strength by not fully sitting on the stepped portion of the gear shaft." I had a shim under the sleeve I fabricated and it was .35 thick. I finally broke down and got some .10 shim from Mcmaster Carr. I swapped the sleeve and it only needed two. I can sleep better now! ;D

Don't lose too much sleep over it ;D, John proves a good point, but I believe you would be ok with shims.
The stepped portion of the shaft measures 2.50mm, we are talking shims and not washers.
Worst scenario, you might need a .50mm shim, I haven't seen anything worst than that, I believe you would still be ok.
Here I'm showing one of Bryan's .50mm washer just to give you an idea on how much meat is still left on the post for the sleeve to ride on...again, worst scenario

With that said, having so much variation, the best solution is to have two pin holes drilled on the sleeve.
As you and me know, Tom is already on it. ;)
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

My .035 washer was in inches, so that was pushing close to a full millimeter. I wasn't comfortable with it.
Life is Good!

crackerman

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 29, 2014, 11:25:21 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 29, 2014, 04:43:10 AM

Don't lose too much sleep over it ;D, John proves a good point, but I believe you would be ok with shims.
The stepped portion of the shaft measures 2.50mm, we are talking shims and not washers.
Worst scenario, you might need a .50mm shim, I haven't seen anything worst than that, I believe you would still be ok.
Here I'm showing one of Bryan's .50mm washer just to give you an idea on how much meat is still left on the post for the sleeve to ride on...again, worst scenario

With that said, having so much variation, the best solution is to have two pin holes drilled on the sleeve.
As you and me know, Tom is already on it. ;)
Sal

So, if Tom is already on it, when can we expect stainless gear sleeves on the market?
I really want one, as i was installing delrin under the main gear, and on top of the stack, noticed a significant amount of play in the sleeve. As well as some slight wear where the handle mounts to the sleeve. I cant help but be excited about buying one! Will it also come with double stainless dogs?

Shark Hunter

Tom is a Busy Man, You can't rush perfection. He is only making us a sleeve. Any other mods are up to you.
Life is Good!

crackerman

Hey, ill take whatever I can get! Thanks to all who put the effort into making exotic reel parts for us to go and play with!

Shark Hunter

Amen to that Cracker!
Here is what perfection looks like! :o

14/0

12/0

Life is Good!

crackerman

Quit showing off that goodness! I am gettin all crackhead itchy over here!

Shark Hunter

Patience cracker. They are coming. ;) I have both those reels coming with me to Pensacola in two weeks.
I hope I can catch a Monster on one of them to prove Tom's Sleeves. I have no doubt they will perform. ;D Take a Benadryl. Its all good!
Life is Good!