Most suitable rod for a vintage Penn Jigmaster

Started by simondema, September 12, 2014, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simondema

Hi all
I do a lot of kayak fishing and boat fishing here in Sydney.
I have recently bought 3 reels - Penn Spinfisher 501, Penn Spinfisher 500 and a Penn Super Mariner 49.
Can anyone suggest appropriate rods in the 7-8ft range that will accommodate the reel seats, especially when they have the 2 bolts on either side of the reel base.
Thanks in advance.

Simon De Marchi

erikpowell

Bula Simon,
personally I like to keep my kayak rods under 6'...only long enough to clear the bow and stern, and transport better in the car  ;D

and I really like the Silstar rods..nothing fancy but really well made for the price.
My favorite kayak rods for my narrow jigmaster are a 5'6 Silstar 15kg Crystal Tip....fibreglass  ;)
                                                                          5'6 Silstar 8-10kg Big Fin ... composite..light and nimble, casts well too.
If I wanted to spend a little more cash and wanted a longer casting or popping rod I'd buy some more Live Fibres.. I like their casting rods a lot. Long lasting quality and performance. a little pricier than the Silstars.
Those are both Aussie brands too if I'm not mistaken

Big Tim

My favorite rod and Jigmaster combo is an Old Skool Seeker S-870-7(15-40)...Something like this would work would well for many applications...My $.02

erikpowell

I missed the old school part! 
Calstar WestCoast 870 has always worked well for me...not so ugh in the yak though

You probably won't find many in Sydney  ;D

Big Tim

Quote from: erikpowell on September 13, 2014, 01:26:37 AM
I missed the old school part! 
Calstar WestCoast 870 has always worked well for me...not so ugh in the yak though

You probably won't find many in Sydney  ;D

Mighty fine $.02 worth my friend!

simondema

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
I hadn't thought about he Silstar as I immediately thought of the Ugly Stiks. Unfortunately they are all now made in a very well known Asian country, so I am not sure of the quality.
Erik, I agree with you regarding the length of the kayak rods, and infact I realise that all my kayak rods are no longer than 6'6 or thereabouts.
I might do an Ebay search for the Old Skool rod....you never know. However, the Silstar is a great option, thanks.

Simon

Newell Nut

I have two of those old sabre strokers in my closet but the newer Calstar 700ML would be a nice rod for what you are planning to put on them.