Vagabond 4-day Labor Day weekend

Started by SC_HAMACHI, September 13, 2014, 01:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC_HAMACHI

Finally getting around to a report. First I would like to give a big Thanks to Alan for getting my reels in tip top shape  ;D. He was working nights and getting over what sounded like a pretty serious cold.

Chartered the Vagabond for a 4-day labor day weekend with a group of guys from work. First time for most of us on a trip like this. We had a handful of people who had some experience with this style of fishing.

Hit the bait docks first and got perfect sized (5-6") mix of sardines and mackerel. Bait was never a issue on our trip. When we cleared the point the water was still a tad mixed up from hurricane Marie. Decent swell with some wind on it. More of what you would typically expect up north. 

We had Captain Gordon on this trip and him and the crew where great. Food was exceptional and the boyz were on top of it when the fish went on the bite.

Started off the first day trolling around from around 3 until sundown and were able to scratch up the first YFT of the trip right before dark. We were stoked to get fish on the first day!

Day 2 started off a bit slow, until around 0900 when all hell broke lose. Found a school that stayed with us for 3+ hours. Hammerheads and a Marlin around the boat it was awesome. Everyone put fish on the boat at this stop. Found another couple schools that day all around the same grade 15-20lbs YFT. Couple guys got sawed off by hammerheads which was cool to watch.

Day 3 we woke up to typical Southern California weather, no wind and sunshine. Captain had made the move 20-30 miles south of San Clemente Island I think it was called the 43 fathom area were there had been some BFT being caught. There was a small fleet there. Captain was marking fish they just didn't want to bite. We anchored up there and were able to scratch up a few BFT and a nice 24lb YT. Which ended up tying for 1st place for the jackpot. Stayed in that area for most of the morning then headed back out in search of YFT. After nothing on the troll for most of the afternoon the Captain decided the head back to the BFT 43 fathom area. Got back in the area right before dark and got a few to bite.

Day 4 weather was good and we were back on the troll. Day was pretty slow with a couple stops on metered fish. We ran across a ton of kelps on the search with most of them coming up empty. Some of them were huge and still not holding fish. Until around 1700 when we dragged the gear by a smaller size kelp and got a quad going. YT,YFT,and DODOs on that stop. Went goofy for about a hour and then we moved on. I was surprised at he few jig strikes we got. I think there was a half a dozen for the entire trip. Ended up being a good evening bite with 3 more stops on metered fish (YFT).

Motored back to Point Loma Sunday night and were back in the harbor by 0600 on Labor Day.

5 Star fish processing was there at the docks when we arrived and got us processed and on the road in lighting time. Sarah and here group do a fantastic job on getting you taking care of fast!

Killer trip overall. Thanks to El Nino we were able to fish all 4 days! No hogs, but everyone got plenty of fish. 400+ fish for 22 guys. Freezer is full and that's important to me.
Can't wait until next year. Working on getting pics uploaded and a couple videos of the hammerheads.

Kyle

the rockfish ninja

Reaping the rewards of the warm water flow, good stuff. Too bad the El Nino isn't strong enough to effect us up in Norcal, enjoy it!!
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

johndtuttle

Glad you guys got into fish! Been an amazing year down south so far, not done yet :).

Aiala

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 13, 2014, 05:06:44 PM
Been an amazing year down south so far, not done yet. :)

I sure hope you're right; I just signed up for a 2.5-day on the SHOGUN at the end of October.   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

SC good report... We want pictures... Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SC_HAMACHI

This is a start. Some low quality phone stuff.

War wagon getting ready to hit the road.

Quiver of reels with Alan's kick #### handles.

Back at the docks. Crappy cell phone vid.

the rockfish ninja

Yes crappy vid but AWESOME HAUL OF FISH!!
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Dominick

Thanks for the photos and video.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.