Penn 180 Baymaster joins the double dog family

Started by Alto Mare, September 13, 2014, 09:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broadway

We know you love us... I mean, how could you not. ;)
We feel the same, safe travels!
Dom

foakes

Seeing that submarine from Aiala, reminds me of a time about 25 years ago over in Monterey Bay. 

We were on my friends 21' Bayliner Trophy -- we launched from Moss Landing, at the center of Monterey Bay -- and were trolling for Salmon with 2 electric powered down riggers -- one deep, one high.

We were on the edge of the canyon where it drops off to around 4000' deep -- just easy fishing -- can't remember if we caught much that day.

Suddenly, the port side down rigger apparently was caught on something that was moving away from us.  We quickly took the boat out of gear, then reversed the power trying to catch up to whatever had the weight on the end of the SS cable.  The boom started to flex, and it looked as if the down rigger mount was going to tear loose from the boat.  Before we could do anything else, the cable snapped.

Well, we did not ever find out what happened -- but thought maybe a whale, shark, or submarine must have been the culprit.

We told everyone it was a research sub -- but it was probably a whale.

Who knows?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

I can niether confirm nor denay that I have dug out long line hooks and/or smaller gear from a submarine. I can tell you that they are covered in a rubbery substance that sharp things love to get stuck in  ;)
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jonnou

Well looks like you may have hooked one
next time you will have to land It  :D :D

Porthos

Quote from: noyb72 on September 15, 2014, 05:38:57 AM
I can niether confirm nor denay that I have dug out long line hooks and/or smaller gear from a submarine. I can tell you that they are covered in a rubbery substance that sharp things love to get stuck in  ;)
Ron

Any inline, non-offset, circle hooks?  :D

coastal_dan

Sal - Nice Job!  My parts are currently soaking in Simple Green.  Looking forward to getting her back together.  What are you gonna end up running for line, braid or mono?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bluefish69

Quote from: jonnou on September 15, 2014, 09:28:58 AM
Well looks like you may have hooked one
next time you will have to land It  :D :D

If you bring it in & Gaff it. Will it win the Jack Pot?? Maybe DQed

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

harryk3616

once again sal , fantastic job, beautiful , the pictures were great.

Shark Hunter

Getting my rods ready for Florida this coming weekend.
I picked up another Ugly stick G2 for my 180. This should make a great little Kayak Reel.
Stay Safe Ron! Haze Grey and Underway brother!
Life is Good!

broadway

Hey Daron,
   Did you rig the turret and gun as a down rigger while you were out there? ;D
Dom

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on September 15, 2014, 05:06:22 AM
Well, we did not ever find out what happened -- but thought maybe a whale, shark, or submarine must have been the culprit... Who knows?

If you ask the Discovery Channel, it was undoubtedly a Megalodon.   ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

looking good Daron ;). When I visited my brother at Norfolk VA... a long time ago, the Captain was nice enough to give me a personal tour of this beauty

USS MITCHER MISSLE DISTROYER

I bet you won't be able to do that anymore :(
oops, left out the S ...USS MITSCHER
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

This was a Spruance Class destroyer I was on. She was Decommissioned in 2003. They brought her out to sea and blasted her with Torpedoes. :'(
Life is Good!