Penn 180 Baymaster joins the double dog family

Started by Alto Mare, September 13, 2014, 09:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I decided to install a second dog on a Baymaster 180, this reel will do just fine with one dog, but I just had to do it ;D.
I soaked the parts in Simple Green for a couple of days and here they are, nice and clean

grind out the plate for the second dog

For drags I used .75mm laminated carbon fiber washers, a delrin washer for under the gear and one on top of the stack, right below the last metal, in this case the tension spring

dogs are clicking really nice, but you won't be able to see them under the plate

I also replaced the plastic spool with the metal spool, I know I know, you guys believe that these will warp, I believe that in these particular reels, they will do just fine

Broadway, (Dom) was kind enough to send me a couple, Thanks again Dom ;). This man doesn't know when to stop ::)  ;D.
Nice little reel

I never had much interest in these reels, but I'll tell you what, I would never go out without one. I've been using them lately and really enjoy them.
Thanks to Ron ( noyb72), he's been telling us  how great these little reels are and I finally listened.
I also have an older 180 with the lighthouse that I will be doing some day.

Most of my reels have the works, stainless steel sleeve and star, aluminum spool and Tiburon frame, If you're on a budget, there is no need to go all out, all I recommend on this one is a better handle, carbon fiber washers and delrin washers, that's about it.
If yours has a plastic spool, that one does have to go.
Good luck upgrading your own, the metal washers are brass, they'll do just fine.
I usually squeeze the drags a couple of times and if needed, I'll shave the spacer sleeve a little so I get the star travel just the way I like it.
That delrin is doing a great job making everything silky smooth.
Any questions...just ask!
Enjoy!
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

That looks great Sal..! Can you tell me the size of the boxes of SS screws show?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Sure Keith : 5/40x5/16 and 5/40x3/8 slotted fillister head ss machine screws.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,
   That's the luckiest spool ever to be put in a Baymaster... you do great things with your reels and I/ we appreciate your knowledge, generosity, and willingness to always help out.
Looks like a striper slayer to me. Just because I know you tested it... What was the difference in drag pressure before and after the delrin washers? Also, does the top delrin washers always go right under the last metal washer in all the Senators?
Thanks,
Dom
PS- That's quite a bin of dogs and springs ya got there :o

Porthos

What you need now is to do the same with a RED plates Penn 27.  ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on September 14, 2014, 03:25:18 AM
Sal,
  That's the luckiest spool ever to be put in a Baymaster... you do great things with your reels and I/ we appreciate your knowledge, generosity, and willingness to always help out.
Looks like a striper slayer to me. Just because I know you tested it... What was the difference in drag pressure before and after the delrin washers? Also, does the top delrin washers always go right under the last metal washer in all the Senators?
Thanks,
Dom
PS- That's quite a bin of dogs and springs ya got there :o
Dom, couldn't really compare the drags, the original were shot. The delrin will not incease drag numbers, but it will help increasing them. What I mean by that is that when you push these reels to their max the drags usually get jerky, delrin will help minimize jerky drags.
You're right, these would make nice gear for stripers and blues, I caught some nice size channel catfish on the Chesapeake with them and drags remained as smooth as butter ;).
Quote from: Porthos on September 14, 2014, 05:36:48 AM
What you need now is to do the same with a RED plates Penn 27.  ;)
Porthos, would a 25 do? ;D

Placed it next to a black plate one , for contrast, but didn't help much.

Sal

broadway

Gotcha! Makes sense. This will really help on my wire reels as the bottom washer is usually quite chewed up at the end of the season.
Does the delrin top washer go just under the last metal washer on all senators?
Thanks for the explanation,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Good job Sal.  I opened a bottle of Zin Wayne brought over the other evening.  We did a good job on it and later on in the evening I decided to open another.  Oh well one glass led to another and before you knew it the bottle was empty.  I have a question after drinking too much wine do I have a double hair of the dog the next day?  I need help.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

broadway

I find it hard to believe that you don't have a secret remedy for getting rid of "the night before" with all the practice you have ;)
I figured you knew an old witch doctor that could give you a talisman or a potion and poof all better.
Dom

Ron Jones

Sal,
I love it!
I bought my first one on eBay by mistake and you told me what would fit. I love this size reel, they make great 20#mono reels once serviced and can be built into fantastic 40# braid YT killers with all the goodies added. That spool will last forever, it is the ones with the swaged ends that apparently have problems. I have done good with my girls 85s with those style spools.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Good to know Ron, thanks. I was about to send a pm, I haven't seen you around and wanted to make everything was ok....good to hear from you. ;)

Ron Jones

I'm getting ready to go back to sea. USS City of Corpus Christie need a weapond Dept. LCPO and apparently I'm it! I'll still be around, but not nearly as much. Don't for a minute think I love you guys any less.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare