Penn Fathom 40 Star drag test

Started by Big Tim, September 13, 2014, 11:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

OK...The objects of the drag test are as follows...Penn Fathom FTH40, mounted on a Seeker G6465-6 1/2 Black Steel and spooled with Berkley Big Game #40...All new except the rod which I've used a few times...
I started with light drag (8lbs)and short pumps and a few runs down the hallway of my house...YES My son laughed his #### off...Then I started cranking down the star with my scale attached to a door until I reached 22lbs. of drag and then the reel started to jerk just a bit...I did not open this reel, or service it in any way prior to any tests...I would fish the heck out of this guy right out of the box. I hope the new series of Fathoms with the lower gear range are at least this good ... 3 smiles from Big Tim  ;D ;D ;D

stoked4fishin

Hey Tim
I didn't even realize you posted this!  Question...
To get to the 22lbs, was the start pretty much maxed ot?
Thanks
Jeff

SoCalAngler

I'm sure Tim will answer when he see's this but max drag on the Fathom stars is 25 lbs so I'm sure there was a little more movement on the star but it starting to get sticky at 22 lbs right out of the box sounds about right for these reels.

stoked4fishin

Thanks
That's kind of what I'm finding on my 25N star drab.  I haven't opened up the reel yet, but I'm assuming the Versa Drag comes set for the max drag curve by alternating CF/Metal/CF/Metal and so on.

SoCalAngler

I've been into a few Fathom's, my 25 n star, a friends 25N II and my nephew's 40 II and all had the versa drag washers set for the max drag. When the Fathoms first came out I talked with Steve Carson of Penn about how the reels were shipped and he told me they all should have the max drag config. In the 3 reels I have been into that's what I found, the max drag setting with the versa drag washer stack.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Big Tim on September 13, 2014, 11:32:31 PM
  ..... I hope the new series of Fathoms with the lower gear range are at least this good ...... 

What ? Penn is releasing Fathoms with lower gears ?

Also I dont know if you all are less picky than myself....Ive had a good bit of experience with the Fathoms & all of them with out a bit of work had drags that would grab making the rod tip jump & dive a bit above
15 lbs. None of them were as smooth as say US113. More stout reel I know. Just dont have another star drag by Penn to compare....Jeff