penn 112h

Started by Fullaphish, September 01, 2010, 04:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullaphish

Hey Alan I seem to have a problem that i just can't get my head around.  I have a 112h with the topless tiburon frame, ss gearsleeve, wet ht100 drags and a kolekar handle. While fishing with it last week i noticed that when in freespool the reel made a thumping sound when turned to the right/handle side.  My first thought was that the spool was loose so i checked for play and it was fine.  I racked the rod and figured i would look at it at home.  I have now torn this thing down several  times and i can't see anything wrong.  Any ideas on where i should look.

akfish

If I understand the problem, odds are that either the yoke is bent or the "ears" on the eccentric jack are bent so that the spool doesn't move enough from the pinion gear while in free spool. It is a simple fix in either case -- bend the bad part into shape and you're good to go.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

it might also be gthat the right side of the spool is too close to the bridge plate and it's "thunking."   there are two common causes for this.  one is a worn out right spool bushing.  they're $3.  find a similar reel and switch the bushings and see if that fixes the problem.  if it does, you can put in a new bushing.  you can also cut up small pieces of an old beer can and stuff them into the bushing.  it will "space" the spool over to the left just a smidge and that will again (temporarily) take care of the problem. 

the other possibility is more problematic.  if you have an chromed brass spool, it's possible that the spool could have "spread out" under load from the mono.  that would shift the right side of the spool over a bit too far.  you'll need a new spool.  you might also grind down the lip of the bridge plate where it rubs against the spool.  again, a temporary fix.  can you let us know?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fullaphish

It was a combo of bushing and eccentric tabs being bent.  All is good now and thanks for the help that is my favorite reel in the world.  Hate to go fishing without the ole girl :)

alantani

just half right?  i'll take it!  it was a wag anyway!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fullaphish

LOL take it easy big guy.  Everything i know about fixing reels comes from this site. I think we all owe you a debt for making this information avalable to us.....  Next question, has anyone done a tutorial on the toriums? I was looking for one yesterday and we only have the clicking torium upgrade.