Kayaking offshore

Started by Prof. Salt, October 07, 2014, 03:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

Hi all,

I recently found this site while looking for advice on rebuilding an Avet. It seems kayaking through the surf is pretty rough on all reels, and Alan's tutorial was a big help in getting it all apart and back together. Just wanted to share the fishing we do in my neighborhood, offshore in kayaks. We catch a lot of king mackerel, and have a lot of sharks to keep things interesting. Often we end up paying tax to the "men in gray suits", and sometimes I switch gears and catch the sharks for a good workout. Nothing over 400 lbs so far, but several over the 300 mark have come alongside the plastic yacht over the last few summers.

A deep water upwelling brought clear water close to shore so I headed out with the cameras rolling

A nice king for our neighborhood

Taxes paid

Acrobatic shark ready to be cut loose

ChileRelleno

Prof. Salt, welcome to the Site.
Great first post, love the pics  8)

Where are you on the Gulf, I'm in Mobile & always looking for people to fish with.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

floating doc

Thanks for posting, and welcome aboard!
Central Florida

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Steve-O

Welcome Aboard, Prof. Salt!

Great post! Now to go back and watch the video.

from another yak angler whose primary quarry have much less sharp teeth.

Steve

Prof. Salt

Thanks for the welcome! Chile, I'm fishing out of Corpus Christi. It would be a serious commute to get to your neighborhood, but I would love to fish the waters off Mobile if I'm ever in the area. Do you guys have any deep water within kayaking distance of the beach?

ChileRelleno

Define 'Deep'.

Yes'sir, 20'+ on average 400 yards off the beach, 50+ not much farther, some gas rigs within 3 miles of the beach.
Over in FL it isn't uncommon to catch Sails & Mahi fishing BtB, and once in awhile BFTs.
Of course they catch the Sails/Mahi off the friggin piers too.  :o
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Ron Jones

Funny that, I had orders to the USS Corpus Christi!
Welcome to the playground.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Prof. Salt

I once toured the Corpus Christi when it was in port, Ron, but I doubt they let the public do those walk-throughs anymore. Thanks for the welcome.

In my area we reach 50 feet at around 3.5-4 miles off. It's mid 60s at 7.5 miles out, but that's a long paddle! I routinely make trips that total 10-20 miles, but they usually include a lot of meandering and trolling around oil platforms. I prefer to stay within cell range, especially when I'm paddling solo. Sails and Mahi are a rare treat for kayaks here, but I managed to hook one of each this summer. The mahi was around 30-35 inches and it made good on their reputation of removing a heavy lure by some fancy head shaking. The sail was a real beast who refused to slow down. As he was about to spool my Avet SX, I applied a little too much pressure in hopes of slowing him down... and broke the fish off. My buddy 1/2 a mile away started yelling as the fish was jumping, trying to get the hooks out. It was a cool experience that doesn't happen very often in this area.

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:

erikpowell

Shark Hunter

Welcome Professor! Thanks for the clip. Good Stuff! ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Yes welcome and thanks for the video and pics.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Welcome.  Love the pics and video.  Thank you for sharing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Welcome -- glad to have you on board...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.