TLD 25 - Locked Up

Started by Marlinmate, September 03, 2010, 01:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

I'm jumping the gun a little here, but my fishing buddy says his TLD 25 "locked" up on him. The spool spins, but the handle won't budge. I don' thave the reel yet, but should soon.

Before I get it, and ideas on what would cause this?  Shot bearings? jammed gears?

thanks for any ideas in advance
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

wallacewt

seems like he has had a go at a bit of a service and ummm.just have to wait,no good guessing

alantani

bet the drive shaft seized up in the side plate.  had a tld 15 that did the same. if the spool did not spin, then my guess would be that the spool cap backed off and was stuck inside. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I've seen them lock up when the Gear Shaft Thrust Washer (79) was not put back or the Gear Shaft Shield (78) was dammaged.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Marlinmate

Thanks guys....time will tell and when I get the reel, I'll snap some shots of it.

lois

remember that TLD i was working on? it would lock up when the drag was loaded. the bearings were shot.

did you get to look at it yet?

Marlinmate

Finally got this reel and got it apart. The dog looks like it jumped off it's post and was "jammed" which wasn't allowing the main gear to turn smoothly. Found no grease or lube in the bearings which were opened already.

I've got a Carbontex Smoothdrag coming, a graphite real clamp and will re-assemble and try it out.

Didn't see any corrosion at all as this reel was relatively unused.

alantani

yeeesh!  that's not supposed to happen.  i would be concerned that i could happen again.  was the handle nut loose?  that might allow more space for the dog to jump out like that. 

spyder130

Sorry for digging up an old thread Sir Alan, but I have the same problem. Spool spins, but I cannot turn the handle at all. I cannot for some reason remove the main gear from the side plate. Any help please? :)

Bryan Young

May want to try shooting a lubricant like wd40 on the top and underneath the gear and let it sit and soak. If you are able to submerge the assembly in Wd40, that would be better.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani