Penn114 Handle Knob Up Grade

Started by Ralphc, September 25, 2014, 07:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralphc

I want to up grade the knob on my original  114h handle and want to know if the old knob can be removed with out cutting it off and then drilling out the Knob shaft? The new handle has its own shaft.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Put the grip of your old handle assembly in a vise or drill press vise. Drill a hole in the center of the brass just enough to get the old grip and its shaft out of the old handle black. Watch out b/c the chrome handle blank can go spinning on you and it will hurt if you get hit with it.  You don't have to drill all the way thru at this time. Just enough to get the old one off by drilling and wiggling it off.

After doing 60 or more of these I have found a step bit is the best to drill the handle blank itself. Step bits you can control and they won't pull thru the handle like high speed drill bits.

Add some blue Loctite to the mounting screw so it will stay on and not come loose. Using grease I've had plenty of them come loose when fishing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ralphc

Thanks
I just wanted to be sure before I ruined a original Penn handle. Was hoping to save the knob.

Ralph C

Alto Mare

Quote from: Ralphc on September 25, 2014, 07:36:00 PM
Thanks
I just wanted to be sure before I ruined a original Penn handle. Was hoping to save the knob.

Ralph C
You could save the knob if you wanted to, but not sure about the shaft. Heat the knob for about 15 seconds, making sure the torch isn't too close. You'll need to keep moving the torch back and forth, you will then grab a towel and pull the knob right off the shaft.
You could reuse it by adding a little epoxy, but the shaft needs to be of the same diameter.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.