16/0 Senators (The beasts that brought me here...)

Started by Sea Dweller, September 18, 2014, 12:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

At times you could find anything even the impossible to find spool :o
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181532597220?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Funny how we talk about things here and within a day or two, they appear on line :-\ ...they're watching us ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

:o Holeee Cow!  :o
Starting bid $495.00...  What is it, Sterling Silver?
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Yeah I know, he could easily get $250 for that used spool. This only happens with our Penns ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Irish Jigger

By looking at the corrosion in the pics,I think the Stand is brass.
It should be fairly malleable and adjustable without heating.

jonnou

Quote from: Irish Jigger on September 20, 2014, 08:01:50 AM
By looking at the corrosion in the pics,I think the Stand is brass.
It should be fairly malleable and adjustable without heating.
I have been waiting for someone to say this
I thought "but didn't Know"
Knowing the material is key
before Hardening or annealing ,bending, bashing or breaking
;) ;)

Alto Mare

I just realized who the seller is. I have dealt with Joe before and he's a very nice guy, if there is a way, I'm sure he will work with you.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 20, 2014, 07:21:09 AM
You better jump on that stand. Sea Dweller.
I hear this...  Ribbit, Ribbit, get froggy on it.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Daron is being a gentlemen about this, as he usually is. I know he's watching it like a hawk, just in case  Sea Dweller is not interested ;D

Sea Dweller

I am interested! Lol. I'm just afraid to bid early and start a war. Thank you to any who are interested but giving me a chance at it first, it really says everything about you guys!

At this point, I will be tackling these beasts kind of in two ways. I'm going to focus on my better shape 16 first, but if I can get that reel stand I'm going to go after it.

So after a thorough cleaning, I think my next task is going to be drag washers. I've heard about a 9+1 kit, I think..? I'm assuming this is carbontex? I assume this means 1 under the gear then the rest to in the stack? Am I going to go through carbontex to order? Also will I need to order the +1 desperately?

Thanks guys for bearing with me on all my questions. I'm stoked about this whole project which is really helping me overcome my nervousness of working on these reels.

Cone

I would straighten the stand without heat if possible. Heating it will anneal the brass and make it soft. It would be more prone to bend out of shape under load. There is always a chance it will crack without annealing it. I don't think it will. It takes a good bit of working brass to get it to that point.  JMO   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Sea Dweller

The stand is mine. Thanks everyone for the heads up and for the gentlemanly behavior!

I weighed the pros and cons of getting it now vs putting my first 16/0 back into best fighting shape and it's just not worth risking not finding another. Man though... I just cannot believe the price of that spool though!

As to the bent reel stand... Can annealed brass be re-heat treated like steel?

Thanks guys! I appreciate everything and my rainy day fund is rapidly diminishing lol!

Edited to add: still trying to figure out what my best drag stack should be. Should I stick to the HT100 7+1 or go with something else? Sal mentioned a 14+1 stacked super tank and my years are just turning and turning lol!!!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Sea Dweller on September 20, 2014, 05:06:22 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate everything and my rainy day fund is rapidly diminishing lol!

It's only the beginning ;D

The 14+1 didn't do too good, lots of drag, but if I remember correctly, it jumped from zero to 20lbs, nothing before that.
Go with the 7+1 and you should do just fine, we are still working on Hex inserts for that reel, using 1.5mm carbon fiber washers and metal washers.
I'm glad you got that stand, those are very hard to find.

Sea Dweller

Thanks. I'll stick with the 7+1 and eagerly await you mad scientists working on these big guys!

A question regarding drag I have for you, Sal... Regarding something you said when testing drag in the Tank thread...

You said that when you tested drag that you did it through the rod with the rod bent down but that if you were just pulling the drag straight off the number would be higher... Why not just point your rod straight toward the shark to stop it/increase drag? Sorry if this is a simple thing I'm just not getting. It just seemed like a no brained to me which probably means my brain was on free spool when I thought of it lol.

ChileRelleno

I just noticed that the link for the 'Spool' is actually for a Parts Kit.
That price now makes more cents.  :D
Ragnar Benson: