16/0 Senators (The beasts that brought me here...)

Started by Sea Dweller, September 18, 2014, 12:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Sea Dweller on September 20, 2014, 05:06:22 PM

As to the bent reel stand... Can annealed brass be re-heat treated like steel?

No,take Bob's advice and don't heat it.
Better work it cold and slow.
Access to a hydraulic press may help.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Sea Dweller on September 20, 2014, 06:00:31 PM

A question regarding drag I have for you, Sal... Regarding something you said when testing drag in the Tank thread...

You said that when you tested drag that you did it through the rod with the rod bent down but that if you were just pulling the drag straight off the number would be higher... Why not just point your rod straight toward the shark to stop it/increase drag? Sorry if this is a simple thing I'm just not getting. It just seemed like a no brained to me which probably means my brain was on free spool when I thought of it lol.
Always good to lift the rod and let it share the load, but you can't always do it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Copper and brass are different than steel. If it is in it's annealed or soft state it bends easily. As you keep bending it or hammering on it, it gets harder. Eventually it will reach the point where it must be annealed or it will crack if it is worked more. Heat treating it only makes it softer.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Sea Dweller

Cone, thanks for the informative feedback! I am now VERY glad I pulled the trigger on that stand, lol.