How do I build a 506hs?

Started by Tom McKinney, September 18, 2014, 05:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

Okay I'm a little confused on this.  I have 505hs side plates and bridge, a penn built 506 spool and newell bars and base in the 501/506 size, but no gears.  And I'm confused on which gears to get.  I have read that the black pearl 5:1 gears will fit, but how about the pinion?  And isn't the original pinion and main gear from penn weak?  What do I'd do (besides sell it for parts and build a 501 with BP gears)?

George4741

Tom, I'll give a go at answering this.  I'm not sure which aftermarket gears will fit in this reel, but factory gears are available from Scott's.  You may find some on ebay, too.  I doubt that the Penn gears are weak and I wouldn't hesitate to use them.  These reels have been catching fish since the beginning of time. ;)

George
viurem lliures o morirem

doradoben

Tom, what line test would you like to fish??

Ron Jones

The factory gears work just fine with a factory 3 disk drag set up. That will fish 30# test all day long and make you very happy. If you want to fish higher drag then you need stronger gears, Sal says the PB gears will fit and I trust him over all others.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"