112H narrow build questions

Started by Rapchizzle, September 18, 2014, 08:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapchizzle

What I have- a good condition Penn 112H

What I want- Star drag grouper/halibut/jigging reel with 20+lbs of drag to handle 80lb braid in 50-600 ft of water with a 5:1 gear ratio.

I recently acquired a good condition 112H and have been reading a ton of stuff on here of people asking the exact same question I'm about to ask.  What can I do to this reel to beef it up to handle 20+lbs of drag?

If I move forward with this, I plan to get the Tiburon T3N narrow frame and spool kit, new drag system, new handle blank and handle, alternating double dogs, and maybe an SS gear set.  What else can I do?

What advantage will the SS sleeve provide and/or how will it enhance or strengthen the reel? Could I get that with the SS gear set or will I have to fin it separately?

I've read posts alluding to the 5+1 drag stack, 7+1 drag stack, hexagonal/octagonal insert, hexagonal/octagonal precut gears, HT100 washers, Carbontex washers, DIY drag washers, etc.  What is the most effective way to get the reel to handle 20+ lbs of drag?  What parts ARE and ARE not available(ie-limited run)?

Can this be done for under 200-250 or should I just buy a Fathom and deal with the higher gear ratio? I had a Baja and really liked it but want to try for the same-ish results in a smaller package.

Ron Jones

20#s at the top of the spool and 5:1 in a 112H is no bueno. If you can slow down to 4:1 you will be fine. Because you have the reel allready, you should be able to do what you want for your price range easy.

The SS sleeve will not round off under heavy drag like the factory sleeve will. Bryan Young's 5+1 kit is the easiest but I really like Lee's hex insert.

Do not forget an upgraded handle, their are a bunch on here.

Have fun
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rapchizzle

Quote from: noyb72 on September 18, 2014, 09:00:51 PM
20#s at the top of the spool and 5:1 in a 112H is no bueno. If you can slow down to 4:1 you will be fine. Because you have the reel allready, you should be able to do what you want for your price range easy.

The SS sleeve will not round off under heavy drag like the factory sleeve will. Bryan Young's 5+1 kit is the easiest but I really like Lee's hex insert.

Have fun
Ron

Thanks Ron. I'm more concerned with the drag than the speed so could stick with 4:1 if it would mean higher drag.  If I were to stick with 4:1, would it be super beneficial to upgrade to the ss gear set?

maxpowers

Quote from: Rapchizzle on September 18, 2014, 09:49:56 PM
Quote from: noyb72 on September 18, 2014, 09:00:51 PM

Have fun
Ron

Look on ebay..you should be able to find the steel 4:1 gears.

Thanks Ron. I'm more concerned with the drag than the speed so could stick with 4:1 if it would mean higher drag.  If I were to stick with 4:1, would it be super beneficial to upgrade to the ss gear set?

handi2

I built one with Bryans drag set, stock steel gears, SS gear sleeve. 25+ lbs of max drag and very smooth. The person has fished it all this year without a problem at all.

If you can find the stock steel main gear you will be saving allot of money.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ron Jones

I do not know of a stainless 4:1 gear. I fish the plain steel gear all the time without issue, just keep it lubricated and you will be fine.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Marcq

I think the 4.1 gear is perfect for that reel, line retrieve of 29"

Marc..

Ron Jones

I guess it depends on what you are doing. I have a YTS with PB 4:1 gears that I retrieve a surface iron with comfortably at just the right speed to swim the iron, if I go down to a 3/0 then I need to speed up my cranking rate and that can get to be bothersome. Going up to 5:1 fixes that, however you can't do that with much more than 15 #s of drag. For surface iron that much drag works fine with 40-50# line and the 4/0 can go 80 or higher.

If I am running swim baits, stick baits etc. then the 4:1 3/0 is perfect, if I am slow jigging the bottom with a skampi or dropping iron for bottom fish then something like a 60 or standard 3/0 Senator works with their slower retrieve.

No way around it, the 3/0 size is amazingly versatile, especially with all the ratios available.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Big Tim

My favorite rock cod reel: 4:1 gears, SS gear sleeve, ar dog. Accuframe 5+1 drag (about 18# is the most i pulled) & Jigmaster power handle...Rock solid and very dependable

Rapchizzle

I appreciate all the advice fellas.  I think I'll put this project on the back burner until spring as I'm about to head to Peru to travel around for a few months.