Squidder Sleeve

Started by RTT, September 21, 2014, 12:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTT

I acquired a stainless steel sleeve for my Squidder .   I could not wait to get this sleeve in, as well as replace the drag and fiber washer  with HT100 washers.  Then when it was all back together and the anti reverse did not work.  I double check the dog and dog spring, however everything looked good. Yikes!!

Going through the reel I realized that the dog was thicker than the gear on the sleeve.   I used some fine 400 grit sand paper and thinned out the dog by a few thousandth of an inch.  Then put it back together and it works great.  :) :) :) 

I hope this helps.

Ray

foakes

Delrin works great in place of the under gear fiber washer in these Squidders -- smoother and very possibly longer lasting under heavier stresses such as tide and surf.

However, if I am using a lightly greased CF (carbon fiber HT-100) as an under gear washer -- which works well too -- this is also what I do:

Trim the CF outside diameter to just below where the gear teeth start on the gear sleeve -- so there is no risk of any interaction with the operation of the dog -- when the drag stack is compressed

Sand down the dog to a level just slightly below the thickness of the gear sleeve anti-reverse gear

Sometimes too much grease squeezing out of the drag stack, or sloppy greasing in the wrong places inside the reel will interfere with the dogs operation.

140s, 145s, and 146s are some of my favorite reels for surf fishing or easy bottom fishing.  They also are an outstanding reel for kayak fishing -- especially when using the narrow versions.

The SS sleeves really perform well.

Good troubleshooting, and good solution you discovered.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

I agree Fred. I love my 146's. I bought them from the owner of a local bait shop when Penn obsoleted them.  He had an in with the Penn rep and I picked up the last two he had. They are perfect for halibut fishing SF bay.

I have an old red one that  I'll probably do upgrades to, and leave the new ones alone.

I have a red 140 that I just love for Leopard shark fishing. I should probably do a ss sleeve on it.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

yeah, too much variability, year to year to year.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!