The Chronological History of Penn Reels, 1932-1957

Started by Bucktail, September 23, 2014, 12:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Hi Mike --

If Sal hasn't found anything for you yet -- these may or may not meet your approval.

However, they are marked inside with part numbers -- 28-49, 2-49, and 24-49.

If you think they are better than what you already have, or not?

Sorry, didn't see that Sal already has you covered until after posting this -- sorry to interfere -- if I can help, let me know.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cortez_Conversions

Thanks for the heads up on the book Dom! I just ordered a copy.I can see us all fireside this winter pondering the passages of our new bible.....
Then running to the keyboard to discuss with the AT.com crew! ;D
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Ok Mike, this is what I have for you, I couldn't find the rings, but I got this new reel. The rings do show some very fine marks, but I believe you would like it.

I'll send you the complete reel and you decide what you want to do with it.
If Fred's look better see what you need to do with him, but I will still send you this reel.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on November 15, 2014, 05:34:54 PM
Hi Mike --

Sorry, didn't see that Sal already has you covered until after posting this -- sorry to interfere -- if I can help, let me know.

Best,

Fred

I wouldn't call that interfere Fred, you are one of a kind my friend, always jumping in to help. I'm waiting for the day that you will ask for something and I'm hoping that me and many others here would get into an argument on who would want the honor to take care of you.
You're an asset to this site Fred.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

The first 49-A reels made were stamped 49 A on the head plate, but only a very few have ever surfaced and are in colletions in south Africa. The few wide 49's that were sold in the USA were not stamped 49 A, but were just a standard 49 with the wide spool, and according to Michaels book, those sold in the USA are later models, late 50's early 60's, so to restore one with all numbered parts is absolutely correct. Basically takes 2 reels to make that happen....1- 49 super mariner or deep sea reel for the sideplates, and one long beach 67 for the 6 posts and the stand. I spent too much money last month, so I have to wait to finish mine, but thanks for the picture, that's a sweet looking reel.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Dom, PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a couple pics of a catalog that is going to put shock waves across the entire penn reel collectors community.....and I want to share it here first.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Jerseymic

Quote from: broadway on November 15, 2014, 04:47:44 PM
Mike,
    Sweet find! I was wondering why you're looking for unmarked side plate rings and handle if it doesn't have the unmarked handle nut? Also, I can't tell from the photos but it looks like the eccentric levers are the newer variety because they don't have the knurling or lines across them at the top.
That reel is in beautiful condition... I'll also keep my eyes open for ya.
Thanks for showing,
Dom

Hi Dom,

The handle nut has been replaced since the photo and the levers are replacement 21-49's that are the same as those that came off the reel, so it looks like mine is the later model.

Unfortunately I didn't take photos of the reel before I started work on it, I was too eager to get it apart!!

Thank you for your offer but it looks like Sal has me covered.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Jerseymic

Quote from: foakes on November 15, 2014, 05:34:54 PM
Hi Mike --

If Sal hasn't found anything for you yet -- these may or may not meet your approval.

However, they are marked inside with part numbers -- 28-49, 2-49, and 24-49.

If you think they are better than what you already have, or not?

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your offer but yes Sal has me covered, you are not interfering at all, that is very kind of you.

The generosity and help given to me by all of you guys on this forum makes me feel very humble.

Thank you again,

Best wishes,

Mike.

Jerseymic

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 15, 2014, 05:58:52 PM
Ok Mike, this is what I have for you, I couldn't find the rings, but I got this new reel. The rings do show some very fine marks, but I believe you would like it.

I'll send you the complete reel and you decide what you want to do with it.
If Fred's look better see what you need to do with him, but I will still send you this reel.
Sal

That is wonderful Sal thank you.

Just the handle and the left outer ring will be fine, it will be a lot less postage, you keep the rest in stock, I am sure someone will need your help in the future with some of the other parts.

Thanks again my friend,

Best wishes,

Mike.

Alto Mare

Ok Mike will do!
I got a quote, I was going to send it as you see it, the shipping would be over $36 :-\, this thing is close to 4lbs. I would still send it if you needed it, but if just the ring and handle will do for now, we'll go that route.
Later buddy.
Sal

Jerseymic

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 16, 2014, 10:42:47 AM
Ok Mike will do!
I got a quote, I was going to send it as you see it, the shipping would be over $36 :-\, this thing is close to 4lbs. I would still send it if you needed it, but if just the ring and handle will do for now, we'll go that route.
Later buddy.
Sal

Thank you Sal, the ring and handle is all I need, that would be wonderful.

Let me know what I owe you when you get the revised postage.

Wish I could be of more use to you and the guys like you are to me, but anytime I can be of use just let me know.

Take care my friend,

Mike.

Alto Mare

Mike, you owe me the usual ;), that would be the same amount of what you charge me when you send stuff here. ;D

Jerseymic

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 16, 2014, 12:25:47 PM
Mike, you owe me the usual ;), that would be the same amount of what you charge me when you send stuff here. ;D

Ok buddy 8)

broadway

Glad to see you get a rare oldie back to such perfect condition... good stuff!
Dom

Jerseymic

Quote from: broadway on November 17, 2014, 04:20:58 AM
Glad to see you get a rare oldie back to such perfect condition... good stuff!
Dom

Thanks Dom I like to tinker.

I am working on a Sailfisher 130 at the moment, trying to repair the chips and gouges in the sideplates.

If I am successful and happy with the result, I will then be trying to hunt down all the chrome parts that need to be replaced, which will probably be difficult!

Mike.