The Chronological History of Penn Reels, 1932-1957

Started by Bucktail, September 23, 2014, 12:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 18, 2014, 02:33:43 AM
QuoteThat Long Beach is nice shape on the outside, but will need the Alan Tani treatment on the inside before you can fish with it for some L.I. sound porgy

I know it looks dirty on the inside. That's my fault. When I restore a reel of that importance, I take before and after photos. The outside shots are from the group of after photos and the shot of the internals is from the before photo group.

Here are some of the internals during the clean up and finally assembled:

This is over 80 years old and all the parts are original with original finishes. When I do a reel like this, my criteria is to simply clean it and get it operating as it should. Maintaining its original parts, even if they do not look perfect, if very important to me.

That reel sure looks familiar Mike!  I loved reading the book, but I'm going to need to trade you something for a paperback copy because I need one to use as a reference as I don't want to put any wear on the special copy that you sent to me.  I have two NOS brown three-post tail plates.  Would they possibly be worth a paperback edition?  If so, I will send you some photos next week.  I also picked up an early "Black Diamond" Long Beach.

Thanks,

Randy

Penn Chronology

Hello Randy,

At this time I do not have copies of my book for sale. I did not private publish, so I am not distributing the book, the publisher is. If you go to Whitefishpress.com, the soft cover edition is for sale in their catalog section.

mark d

does anybody know where i can find this book in hardcover ?

thks mark

Penn Chronology

QuoteHello Randy,

At this time I do not have copies of my book for sale. I did not private publish, so I am not distributing the book, the publisher is. If you go to Whitefishpress.com, the soft cover edition is for sale in their catalog section

By this time I believe everyone knows that I have softcover copies for sale for $55.00. As I sell my stock I will sign them and offer free shipping in USA at that price.

Quotedoes anybody know where i can find this book in hardcover ?

thks mark

The hard cover editions are sold out. Look for listings on EBay. There were 100 limited edition hard cover issues printed. I have not seen any for sale yet.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Irish Jigger on October 14, 2014, 08:24:46 PM
I see there may be a Volume2 coming along covering Penn Spinners etc from 1957- 1982.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/953376/the-chronological-history-of-penn-reels-1932-1957

Mike,

Any word on this?

I imagine you are a busy man, and probably have got more then one iron in the fire.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Aiala

Quote from: Irish Jigger on October 14, 2014, 08:24:46 PM
I see there may be a Volume2 coming along covering Penn Spinners etc from 1957- 1982.

Excellent! If anyone can give a definitive answer as to whether or not that elusive metal-bodied 440SS actually ever existed, it's Mr. C.   :)

~A
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D