Home Made Ambassadeur Side Plate Protection.

Started by Jimbippy, September 23, 2014, 09:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbippy

I tried something new this year to protect my vintage Ambassadeur side plates while fishing and it seems to be working quite well.
To preserve against boat rash I recommend getting a roll of self sealing silicone tape, it's non-adhesive and available in many colors. Just cut off 8"-12" and then cut it in half lengthwise making two strips 1/2" wide and wrap your end caps to protect your rim labels and end boat rash. It also provides a nice grip. If you angle cut the ends of the strips it makes it a little easier to apply and looks nicer. A set last me about a month before I need to replace them and I fish 3-4 times a week. I carry an extra strip in my tackle bag in case I rip one when I'm out but been pretty lucky so far.I'm sure this would work for other reels also, you would just need to experiment and adjust the length.
I will try and post some pictures when I get home of how it looks.
The first pic is a reel I just got off eBay and the others show it setup to fish.
Sometimes I fix it cuz it's broke, but most times I fix it cuz I broke it!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

LTM

Jim,

Where do you get this tape from?

Thanx,

Leo

Jimbippy

Quote from: LTM on November 11, 2014, 02:19:05 AM
Jim,

Where do you get this tape from?

Thanx,

Leo
I get it from a seller on eBay that sells it in bulk, but it's the same non adhesive plumbing pipe wrap you can get at your local Walmat it just might cost a few dollars more.
Sometimes I fix it cuz it's broke, but most times I fix it cuz I broke it!