349 Master Mariner

Started by basto, September 25, 2014, 12:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

When I was young, I saw one of these narrow Penn reels in a book by Vic McCristal and was impressed at how exotic it looked. It was the twin lever model.
I saw one on an online classifieds 3 days ago and was lucky enough to buy it. It came with a Daiwa trolling rod and both are in good condition. It was a great buy.
I pulled it apart last night and the dog and spring looked quite exotic also.
I cleaned it up and separated the metal drag washers from the asbestos ones, but am putting it back together in stock form.
Not going to fish this one.
I must say, It was easier to reassemble than my 113h and 114h....love that!
I was also lucky that it has a honeycombe handle, just like my other PENNS.
CHEERS
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

basto

Thanks, I can`t bear to modify it.

TechTeach

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

john2244

Great buy, the reel looks to be in excellent condition.   I have a couple on display in my office and look at them everyday.

Keta

Quote from: basto on September 25, 2014, 12:15:46 AM

I have several so "fixing" them is not a problem.   You can easily convert them to 5+1 or 7+1 drags, a 113H gear sleeve isn't quite "right" but will work, SS AR dogs are available, 501/506 cross bars fit and if you are lucky you can find a Newell aluminum spool.  

I even have a rare left hand 349H.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

basto

Quote from: Keta on September 25, 2014, 01:43:49 AM
Quote from: basto on September 25, 2014, 12:15:46 AM

I have several so "fixing" them is not a problem.   You can easily convert them to 5+1 or 7+1 drags, a 113H gear sleeve isn't quite "right" but will work, SS AR dogs are available, 501/506 cross bars fit and if you are lucky you can find a Newell aluminum spool.  

I even have a rare left hand 349H.
I might customise one if I can find another.
I noticed the thread on the gear sleeve is very fine.The top of the sleeve is in perfect condition, as is all other components inside, except the drag.
I love those steel gears. I have them on my  113H AND 114H and they are all like new. I also like the low gear ratio and narrow frame.

Keta

You can also easily convert a 349H (3.25:1) to a 349 (2.3:1) by replacing the gears, yoke and drag washers.  I've brought several 60"+ halibut to the boat with a stock 349H.

Now if only someone made a one piece frame.

Mark Twain

basto

Quote from: john2244 on September 25, 2014, 01:40:16 AM
Great buy, the reel looks to be in excellent condition.   I have a couple on display in my office and look at them everyday.
Yes, I think I may have seen your`s John. Very nice indeed.

mhc

Nice reel Basto, it looks to be in mint condition, definitely collector or display quality, I wouldn't modify (or use) it either.
I bought a knocked around 349H for around $20 on ebay a few months ago to rebuild/upgrade - I bought a newell aluminium spool and spacer bars (std width), stainless gear sleeve, ss drag washers followed by a better set of side plates (including internals and rings), 5/0 grip from Allan and then a new stand. OK, so now I've got two reels. I bought another ss gear sleeve and ordered more stainless drag washers, ss dogs and a handle arm from Keta to upgrade the original reel and have told myself to step away from the mouse until I finish, and use, these two. Oops, too late, 3. Be careful Basto  :)

Michael 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

basto

Yes, I know what you are saying. If I can get another for what I paid for this one ($40 with a top shelf Daiwa trolling rod), I will build a user.
CHEERS
Basto

Keta

You stole that one, $50 is the average price I've seen.  I did pick up 2 rats for $35.00 a year or so ago....for the pair.  Get one, fish it and you will love it.

Mark Twain

El Pescador

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!