Abu Garcia 6500 2spd AR dog mash-up!

Started by WNL, October 02, 2014, 02:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNL

Help please,

The the A/R Dog (#13372) is bent up but worse yet the post on which it sits was side bent. I was able to somewhat straighten the A/R dog.
I straightened the post but now it is a bit wobbly in the brake plate.  On reassembly, the A/R inconsistently engages.

I think I must replace the A/R dog.  Any suggestions regarding the wobbly post?  Bite bullet and order a new brake plate(20702) as well

I will not be throwing any more mag dawgs with it.  ;)

Thanks

Wayne

johndtuttle

Quote from: WNL on October 02, 2014, 02:30:30 AM
Help please,

The the A/R Dog (#13372) is bent up but worse yet the post on which it sits was side bent. I was able to somewhat straighten the A/R dog.
I straightened the post but now it is a bit wobbly in the brake plate.  On reassembly, the A/R inconsistently engages.

I think I must replace the A/R dog.  Any suggestions regarding the wobbly post?  Bite bullet and order a new brake plate(20702) as well

I will not be throwing any more mag dawgs with it.  ;)

Thanks

Wayne

Thing is the trouble of ordering parts and waiting being what it is versus how cheap they are I would go ahead and replace the brake plate too if it's not too expensive. The additional cost is often offset by the shipping charges you have to pay to order it separately which seems to double the price of many things from most places. I usually order extras of anything I think I might need in the future while I'm at it rather than paying S&H twice...

These dogs are brilliant in my estimation for their simplicity and reliability...but their "tolerances" for working perfectly are tight. You may have success with just a new dog, but any wobble on the pin may prevent ideal function and then you'll wish you had the part on hand if it is cheap.