Cal's drag plate...

Started by JMDOUG, October 05, 2014, 03:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMDOUG

I know these are discountinue but here's a long shot. I'm looking for cals drag plate for a trinidad 16NA and for a OJ3000 limited (same size as a trinidad 20A). Please let me know if someone has one laying around or can point me to the right direction.  Thanks

SoCalAngler

Sorry to say those stopped being made a long time ago. I know Tiburon made some drag plates for the Shimano line also, long after Cal stopped. I checked their site but no info was found. Maybe if you contact Tiburon they can be of some help.

I don't know how good this contact info is as I just pulled it off their web site.

We can be reached at:

Email: info@tiburonengineering.com

Phone: 714-546-7553 (Please place orders via the website, not over the phone.)
Fax:     714-546-7589

Mailing Address:
        Tiburon Engineering
           2666 South Grand Ave.
           Santa Ana, CA 92705
           United States

Snaphappy

Quote from: JMDOUG on October 05, 2014, 03:12:08 AM
I know these are discountinue but here's a long shot. I'm looking for cals drag plate for a trinidad 16NA and for a OJ3000 limited (same size as a trinidad 20A). Please let me know if someone has one laying around or can point me to the right direction.  Thanks

Hey Doug did you have any luck?  I need one for my OJ 4000p. I have one in my 5000 and I get 15 more pounds of drag out of it.

steelfish

is it that cal's drag plate for trinidad really worth it

I know that the last metal shim its thicker and add good amount of presure to the drag stack and the cal's drag plate is 100% flat to add an even presure, I have a guy locally that have one brand new never installed it and is selling it to me really cheap (will be traded as part of a service)
The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

I thought shimano sent out a free drag upgrade to fix this issue

steelfish

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 19, 2015, 06:06:10 PM
I thought shimano sent out a free drag upgrade to fix this issue

I dont have problem with the max drag cuz now I have a set of carbontex and easily reach the 20#, but I was most interested on the worthy side of having a 100% flat surface agains the hump thick drag washer of shimano.

Im really happy with my trini16 right now, clicking dog and carbontex but if it can be a bit better I´d do it

The Baja Guy

LTM

Steelfish,

Shimano used to send out the parts, however now you must send your reel in. I sent my in a year or so ago, see my post (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9770.0) and it was WELL worth it.

Leo

foakes

Hi JM --

Am out of town for 3 days -- not back until Monday, AM.

If you find hat you need -- go ahead and post your success.

If not, I will check inventory when I return.  I know I have new Cal's plates still in wrappers -- but am not sure if they are for Shims or Penns, or both -- will check Monday.

Good Luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Hi JM --

This may not be what you need -- the one on the right is larger and new.

2 7/16" -- label from Cal's reads -- Shimano TLD-II 20/30
                                                    75% LARGER DRAG

One on the left is smaller -- possibly used -- probably an original size I switched out for a client many years ago.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

That's interesting Fred.

I probably can make a bunch in the same diameter as Cal's but in the same style as Shimano for greater surface area....Hmm, what other reels could use this as well?  I wonder what the max drag difference would be with the same amount of force on the pinion bearing?  I knew I should have gone into mechanical engineering instead.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mandaragat

Hi Guys,

Can anyone confirm if the plate intended for TLD II 20/30 has the same dimension as the ones used for Trinidad 40/50?

Thanks,

Mark

Bryan Young

Quote from: mandaragat on July 03, 2015, 05:44:49 AM
Hi Guys,

Can anyone confirm if the plate intended for TLD II 20/30 has the same dimension as the ones used for Trinidad 40/50?

Thanks,

Mark
Sorry Mike, they are different...very different.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mandaragat

Thanks Bryan. I thought I could grab some of Fred's plates.

Regards,

Mark