Penn 4500 ss

Started by Shark Hunter, October 05, 2014, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I found this reel in the surf in 2004 after Hurricane Ivan. It was submerged for at least a week in the salt.
There were pieces of boats washing ashore. I saw something bobbing about 100 yards out. I swam out and there was this reel still attached to the rod tangled in a net, I unscrewed it from the rod and let it go. I was treading water and I couldn't untangle the rod.
I don't think it would have survived if it was an all metal reel. The Barnacles had attached to all the metal parts.
I have had it in my garage as an ornament for the past ten years. Time to bring it back to life.
The handle was frozen to the bearings and It wouldn't come loose. I managed to situate the plate to one side to get at one of the crosswind block screws. I pried it up to remove the rotor shaft so I could remove the handle with the gear and bearings attached.
I chipped the case a little bit, but was very surprised I could get this reel apart without destroying the graphite body. The only part that didn't survive was the non handle bearing. It shattered like glass when I put the vice grips on it. Lesson learned. It needs replacement anyway.
I bought a bail repair kit for 10 dollars, Now new main gear bearings and this reel will be fished again!
The rotor bearing was salvageable. I know this is a bottom end spinner with a graphite body and aluminum gears, but its a testament to penn toughness! ;)
I am leaving the barnacles attached. I think it gives it character! ;D

Life is Good!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cwillis85

That reel has lived one heck of a life. Awesome that you can bring it back to life. I bet barnacles make it a very lucky reel, you will catch alot on that beauty.
Chris

jonnou

Shark Hunter

All Done. New Bail Kit and Arm, $20, New main bearings, $10.
Ready to fish again! Priceless. ;)

Life is Good!

handi2

Another good job..!!

Someone just left after I ordered the internal parts for 2 SSV7500 reels he found buried in the sand on the beach. No telling how long they were buried. All the aluminum gears and crosswind block were eaten up. The spool, body, bearings, and drag were fine after cleaning
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Good job Daron  ;), whenever you run into a spool as the one you're showing, make sure you don't feel any nicks on the lip with your fingers.

Quote from: handi2 on October 15, 2014, 08:21:34 PM
Another good job..!!

Someone just left after I ordered the internal parts for 2 SSV7500 reels he found buried in the sand on the beach. No telling how long they were buried. All the aluminum gears and crosswind block were eaten up. The spool, body, bearings, and drag were fine after cleaning
It couldn't have been buried that long Keith, that reel is less than two years old. I'm guessing someone tried to put it out of its misery. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Doug

Nice job I think the barnacle trim really adds something a Davie Jones Special  Doug