Bearing lubricant life

Started by Jim, September 12, 2010, 02:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Here's what's bothering me.
I tear down/clean/lube all my Acc ATD's after last year's final trip. Now it's 10 months later and I'm wondering if the scant drop of Penn Synthetic Reel Oil I put on the spool bearings is still OK or should I re-clean and oil the spool bearings?
They freespool just as nicely as they did when I put them away.
I sort of think they're fine, but want some other opinions about the possible degrading of light synthetic oils.
Thoughts????

Norcal Pescador

Look at the bearings in one reel and see if the oil looks the same, color, clarity, etc. Add another scant drop in this one to see if there is any change in freespool time. If no change or drop in time, leave the rest alone. If time increases, add a scant drop to all of the rest just before you plan to use them. My 2 cents worth. ;)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

JGB

Quote from: sactotuna on September 12, 2010, 02:54:41 PM
Here's what's bothering me.
I tear down/clean/lube all my Acc ATD's after last year's final trip. Now it's 10 months later and I'm wondering if the scant drop of Penn Synthetic Reel Oil I put on the spool bearings is still OK or should I re-clean and oil the spool bearings?
They freespool just as nicely as they did when I put them away.
I sort of think they're fine, but want some other opinions about the possible degrading of light synthetic oils.
Thoughts????

The Penn oil is supposed to be synthetic and should be resistant to oxidation and thickening. Best bet is to research Penn Syn oil and see what the properties are. If it thickens over time you will need to clean it out before reapplication of the lube. If you use 'Dino' oil it will oxidize and thicken as it evaporates (maybe less than a year). The TSI product we use is a Oxidation free and evaporation free product. I spoke with a TSI applications guy and 5+ years would be expected for their product. An example of Dino oil is WD40 - great out of the can but it thickens and forms varnishes that ruin bearings.

I did notice that Penn synthetic placed in a squeeze bottle will turn grey after a month or 2 of exposure to light. The color change may not have any effect on the lubricating properties.

Final note: Even if the oil is perfect and lasts forever it will eventually collect contaminants - dust , dirt, salt, water, metal wear products. These will degrade the performance over time and can even produce acids that will pit the bearings. regular maintenance based on usage is the best proactive  policy for maintaining peak performance. Just like your car oil change every 3-5K miles or 6 months which ever comes first.

Jim N.

Jim

Thanks, in response I actually did some research about the penn stuff I've been using.
It's from the X-1R corp, a NASA vendor.
I'm a lot less concerned than before!

lois

one of my friends swears by Super Lube with PTFE in it.

lois

i got the TS321! will be trying it out.