Handle hard to turn on Avet MXJ

Started by Bill Benrath, September 13, 2010, 02:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

So I have an MXJ that is about 3-4 years old.  All of a sudden the handle is difficult to turn with the drag tightened at all.  It gets progressively harder to turn as tension on the drag is increased; also freespool is gone.

With drag completely disengaged (drag knob turned to 0 drag) the handle turns freely.

Does this sound like spool bearings?

Thank You in advance for any advice.

Bill Benrath

lois

it could be--sounds exactly like the symptoms on the TLD50II i worked on...after replacing the bearings, the problem disappeared.

did you open it up yet?

JGB

Quote from: LadyE on September 13, 2010, 02:07:54 AM
So I have an MXJ that is about 3-4 years old.  All of a sudden the handle is difficult to turn with the drag tightened at all.  It gets progressively harder to turn as tension on the drag is increased; also freespool is gone.

With drag completely disengaged (drag knob turned to 0 drag) the handle turns freely.

Does this sound like spool bearings?

Thank You in advance for any advice.

Bill Benrath

This could be a spool bearing but the most likely candidate would be the pinion bearing. the loss of free spool could be corrosion between the pinion and the spool shaft or the pressure plate bearing rusted to the shaft. Try this - place in free spool and back off the drag pretension. Then press firmly on the pretension knob and see if it moves a little and/or you get some free spool back. If so Open the reel and service the bearings and spool shaft.
Jim N.

alantani

bill, i think lois is right on this one.  i'd look at replacing all of the bearings.  one the best things about avet is that they only charge $5 each for their bearings.  call them at 818-576-9895, and DON'T mention my name!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lois

whoa those are cheap bearings...Shimano and Penn-types run about 426 on average. of course i live in Hawaii wher a gallon of milk will cost us $5 on sale...$9 if it's not on sale.  :o

alantani

you are right about the avet bearings being cheap.  they order lower quality bearings for their reels and pass along the savings to their customers.  that is, um, good and bad.  i just bought the reel repair inventory from a shop that is no longer servicing reels.  in the dozen crates that i picked up last week were 500 assorted bearings.  let's just say that i'm good for bearings for quite a while!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill Benrath

Thanks for the info; I will call Avet and see about replacing the bearings.  Got back late yesterday from a tuna trip and with getting the boat put to bed and all my stuff out of the boat and pickup I haven't had time to open up the reel yet.
Just wanted an opinion.

Thanks Again All,

Bill