Great White Attacks Two Groups of Kayakers

Started by ChileRelleno, October 07, 2014, 04:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/10/04/shark-attacks-kayakers-off-santa-barbara-county-coast/

QuoteShark Attacks Kayakers Off Santa Barbara County Coast
October 4, 2014 5:17 PM

POINT CONCEPTION (CBSLA.com) — A group of kayakers issued distress calls twice on Friday near Point Conception after coming under attack from a shark.

Officials closed the Santa Barbara County beach nearby following the attacks.

Meanwhile the kayakers thanked Lou and Charles Christman, who heard the first distress call while fishing for sea bass about 60 miles north of the Santa Barbara Harbor, where they put their boat named Elizabeth Ann in the water.

The Christmans found one kayak fisherman clinging to a kayak damaged by what was thought to be a great white shark.

"This thing, his jaws were probably...this is probably a 16- to 18-foot shark, it was a big one," Charles Christman told KCOY/KEYT reporter Tracy Lehr.

"I saw a splash ... a few feet out of the water, and thought, 'Wow, that's kind of weird,'" said Lou Christman. "Suddenly you hear 'Mayday, mayday, mayday,' on the radio. And so I picked up immediately. I'm like, 'Roger, where are you at?'"

The Christmans rescued the kayaker and two of his friends. They pulled the men onto their boat and towed their kayaks, and dropped them off at Vandenberg Air Force base's boathouse.

About an hour later, three of their friends who had continued to fish from their kayaks in the area called for help as well.

The Christmans found another man on a badly damaged kayak and rescued him and his friends.

"The shark had knocked this guy out of the water, probably 8 or 9 feet through the air," said Charles Christman. "It came out of the water and it punched about six or eight holes in the kayak. The kayak was sinking."

While they did not catch any fish, the Christmas had quite a story to tell at the end of the day.

"My heart's beating right now," Charles Christman said, "because it was such an adrenaline rush."

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

alantani

Pretty good haul for one day, but i think 6 kayakers puts him over the limit. ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: alantani on October 07, 2014, 06:14:22 PM
Pretty good haul for one day, but i think 6 kayakers puts him over the limit. ;D
:D  LOL!  :D
Gonna have to steal that one.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

floating doc

Okay, one of us has to do this. I volunteer:

"We're going to have to get a bigger boat!"

Central Florida

Marcq

Those kayakers in the ocean are freaking brave  :o  I couldn't do it

Marc..

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Marcq on October 07, 2014, 09:25:26 PM
Those kayakers in the ocean are freaking brave  :o  I couldn't do it

Marc..
Running shark baits at night can get pretty eerie, knowing whats out there underneath you... Hungry.
Ragnar Benson:

Rancanfish

I was going to get a kayak once. Then I had Whitey come up to eyeball us on my 17' Outrage at Ano Nuevo, and dwarf it!

Whitey is stupid, and he learns with his teeth.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:

foakes

Fortunately for the Kayakers -- they will get another opportunity to reevaluate their position in Natures food chain.  😧😧😧

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

I always said I would not get in a kayak even in a lake.  Now I am convinced I won't.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Great thing about Kayaks is they are highly maneuverable, and have 3 seperate stability planes.  Just surf the wave, and snap roll outta it.  Don't think the shark will like the taste of plastic anyways.  If all else fails, pinch him in the nose, and poke him in the eye.  They don't like that much.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cone

The yak wasn't even yum yum yellow. Dominick, It was a sit on top kayak so you don't have to get in.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Cone on October 09, 2014, 01:04:50 AM
The yak wasn't even yum yum yellow. Dominick, It was a sit on top kayak so you don't have to get in.
Bob
Yeah, it was a nice Eat Me, I'm a Seal green.  ::)  I'll stick with my yum yum yellow Hi-Vis.
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

I did a little research on that yum yum yellow a while back. They have very keen sight and see very well at night, but they can't see colors. ;)
Life is Good!

Steve-O

They did a chart on one of the kayak fishing forums I frequent. Last 20 years of kayak shark attacks. Something like 25 or so attacks. Looking for a pattern or color preference of attacks. Dark colors topped the list. White would be the safest based on the stats.

Interesting finding on brands of kayaks attacked and a correlation to paddle or pedal propulsion. Hobie Mirage drive pedal  yaks have become one of the most popularly used on the oceans for fishing out of and most attacked by sharks. They say the flippers and flapping motion of the mirage drive in action may trigger a " look! A seal meal!" In the shark's little brain. i will try to find the chart.