splicing Mono to Hollow with rigging wire

Started by jonnou, October 08, 2014, 10:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnou

I have been trying to splice 50lb mono into 130 jb hollow by opening it up with some rigging wire sent to me by Alan T.
can get it started but have had no success in getting it more than a few inches in.
Do I need a hollow Needle or am I missing a trick?
thanks Jon

johndtuttle

Quote from: jonnou on October 08, 2014, 10:04:44 AM
I have been trying to splice 50lb mono into 130 jb hollow by opening it up with some rigging wire sent to me by Alan T.
can get it started but have had no success in getting it more than a few inches in.
Do I need a hollow Needle or am I missing a trick?
thanks Jon

Did you try sanding the end of the 50lb to get rid of any burrs?

If the leader is soft too that can be annoying. Typically I find I have to open up the hollow nearly as far as I want to insert.

SoCalAngler

maxpowers

50 lbs mono into 130 lbs braid will not be good.  at most you should use no more than 80 lbs hollow braid.  60/65 lbs is actually better.  You should look into buying some hollow DaHo needles.  The wire is great from making loops and to splice solid braid into hollow braid but the hollow needle make it much easier to splice mono or fluoro into hollow braid.  Charkbait sell the hollow needles as well as small amount of hollow braid to make wind-ons.

maxpowers

wallacewt

hi jonnou
i had the same trouble as yourself
so i got some made,they broke under his whippings,bindings,whatever!
must have been his glue,to much hassle for me,
especially when your out fishing
just keep trying
cheers

jonnou

Quote from: maxpowers on October 08, 2014, 06:05:23 PM
50 lbs mono into 130 lbs braid will not be good.  at most you should use no more than 80 lbs hollow braid.  60/65 lbs is actually better.  You should look into buying some hollow DaHo needles.  The wire is great from making loops and to splice solid braid into hollow braid but the hollow needle make it much easier to splice mono or fluoro into hollow braid.  Charkbait sell the hollow needles as well as small amount of hollow braid to make wind-ons.

Yes I am practicing for the real thing
  want to put 130lb mono up there
Am thinking of the needles but am trying this as it is cheep and so am I ;D ;D
and Alan said i could
and I listen to him he is not often wrong

It feels like I am snagging a fibre as the mono is inserted then it binds
Maybe it will be easier with the 130 lb mono (stiffer)
need to buy some

thanks for your reply

day0ne

Have you sanded the end of the mono so it is smooth and slightly rounded?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

if you can run a wire through the braid to open it up, then pushing the mono through should be much easier.  what kind of briad are you using?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Jonnou said he was using JB 130 lb spectra. The reason I asked if the JB spectra was colored is because at one time there was issues with his colored spectra. The coloring process made the fibers of the spectra want to stick together making inserting anything harder, much harder if not impossible. I don't use any hollow spectra that has been colored just because of that reason. I think Jerry got the colored spectra worked out so it was not sticking to it's self many years back but that may have been a older spool where he still had issues.

Open spectra first on the wire, around 3-4 feet first. Sand the mono/fluoro with simi fine sand paper or use a fingernail sanding board and sand the line into a bullet shape at the tip of the line to be inserted inside of the spectra. This should make inserting the line into the spectra much easier.

Tiddlerbasher

Tapering the mono also makes for a stronger joint. Apparently square cut mono/fluoro can cause damage to the hollow core when under tension.

Bryan Young

I have found that 80# and higher, no spicing needles are necessary.  The mono/fluoro is stiff enough to force it's way through the hollow braid.  Purchase some pin vices to secure your mono/fluoro and sand down the tip of the cut mono/fluoro to a taper and rounded tip for insertion into the hollow braid.  I have found fingernail files (the multi-sandpaper type with a sponge) words best and is cheap...you can get them at those $1 stores or $0.99 stores. Anything smaller, wire or splicing needed is needed to open up the braid, and splicing needles are helpful.

I still have Daho needles available.  Ping me if you need any sizes and I'll check to see what I have left.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jonnou

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 09, 2014, 02:17:44 PM
I have found that 80# and higher, no spicing needles are necessary.  The mono/fluoro is stiff enough to force it's way through the hollow braid.  Purchase some pin vices to secure your mono/fluoro and sand down the tip of the cut mono/fluoro to a taper and rounded tip for insertion into the hollow braid.  I have found fingernail files (the multi-sandpaper type with a sponge) words best and is cheap...you can get them at those $1 stores or $0.99 stores. Anything smaller, wire or splicing needed is needed to open up the braid, and splicing needles are helpful.

I still have Daho needles available.  Ping me if you need any sizes and I'll check to see what I have left.

Well I purchased some 130lb mono to try and still having no luck.sanded ends up opened with wire
tried 80lb bit better but not easy.

It is 130lb Jb hollow in Yellow brand new spool

Running out of patience
Might be able to borrow the tackle store man's Daho needle to try
Thanks for the replys

jonnou

Got a good tip from Lee (Keta)
straighten fibers by running between Forefinger and thumbnail
But still had no luck

Emailed Jerry Brown and got a detailed reply

first he was not suprised I was having trouble with the 1.2mm mono but I should be able to get the 0.8 in with no trouble
He suggested using a finer sandpaper 600g to sand polish the mono
I sanded with 120 then 220 and was able to insert 3 inches no trouble
looks like the mono was snagging the fibres
then tried his tip for the larger diameter
I reversed it a bit to allow for the rigging wire rather than a loop needle

for a test I inserted a 8 inch doubled over rigging wire (would use length of desired insertion 4 feet)
I inserted 8inches from open end of hollow and pushed loop end out of open end
then I threaded a length of 6lb spectra through the rigging wire loop and pulled through
then taking both ends of 6lb spectra an pull tight
bunch up hollow on 6lb
then start pulling out 6lb keeping hollow bunched
I was then able to feed hollow onto 150lb mono
carefully pulling out 6lb as i went
Only inserted 3 inches for a test
but will be aiming fo 4 feet

thanks Jerry for your help
thanks to all others for your valid input
thanks Lee for your tip and the contact
thanks Alan T for the rigging wire

if my explanation is not clear let me Know and I will cut and paste in Jerrys "recipie"

Cheers guys
Jon

Keta

Quote from: maxpowers on October 08, 2014, 06:05:23 PM
50 lbs mono into 130 lbs braid will not be good.  at most you should use no more than 80 lbs hollow braid.  60/65 lbs is actually better.  You should look into buying some hollow DaHo needles.  The wire is great from making loops and to splice solid braid into hollow braid but the hollow needle make it much easier to splice mono or fluoro into hollow braid.  Charkbait sell the hollow needles as well as small amount of hollow braid to make wind-ons.

Hollow needles will this easier and 3' is enough to hold the splice.  I've tested splices with the mono inserted 6" but make the ones for others 3'.
I usually splice in a section of uncoated spectra on the end of my line to make splicing easier.

What is the diameter of the mono you are using, I might have a used hollow needle I can send you. 

BTW, I sell DaHo needles too but do not stock them, Bryan does.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain