506hs drags and frame

Started by Tom McKinney, October 10, 2014, 01:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

So I am building up a 506hs.  I want a really smooth freespool 20lb test line reel for live bait.  I figure that the bearings will make the reel spool even better than a 501.  I won't be using black pearl 5:1 gears because they appear not to work in this unit.  Instead I will be using standard Penn gears.  So I also don't think I should use Bryan's 5 stack drag, right?  And if I'm not pulling that kind of drag do I need to be concerned with frame rigidity?  I think that logic says to put the 501 in the tiburon frame and use the newell bars on the 506hs.

Any thoughts?

alantani

just get a carbontex drag under the main gear, grease the drags, grease everything else and go fish!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fIsHsTiiCkS

As Alan said a set of drags will go far in that reel! Also, if it's just a 20lb setup then your drag settng is prob around 5-8lbs of drag which that reel is more than able to handle as is. Tight lines!

doradoben

The stock spacer bars 37A-506 will be as good as the Newell bars. If you want to splurge, get a 24-56 handle ( or another that you like) and a spare spool.

Ron Jones

I agree with all of the above. If rigidity is a concern then make sure you use a reel clamp. With all this said, a stainless gear sleeve makes the reel so much nicer that it would be a shae not to run it. Don't forget TSI in the bearings.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

otghoyt

I know this response is a little late but I pimped out 2, 505s and a 506 this past winter.   I used all the stainless if could shove in there.  Every single upgrade part available and they were all designed for the Jigmaster 500.  All the guys on this site helped me learn and I did ask a lot of really basic questions.  Thanks to all.  They are intended to out-live me and probably my sons too.

The 5 plate carbon fiber drags were an especially nice upgrade.  Other than that, I spent my  time and effort eliminating a lot of slop at the gear sleeve to bridge interface.  I first used one .005 washer made from a sheet of PTFE I got on e-barf.  After some testing I added another .005 washer.  It really changed how it cranked....mucho, mo betta.   I also added over-size spacer sleeves at the drag and star interface.  I think I got it from Challenger here on ATs site.

All my 505s and 6s have a ton of slop built into this area and it effects everything from gear mesh to drag efficiency.  Definitely time well spent!!
I put in the best bearings I could buy and bought  bunch of aluminum spools.  These reels and rods are my go-to bait and jigging rigs.  I did use Newell stainless gears and I went with a Penn 24-55, 3 hole crank with rubberized handle. I don't need anything else and that's how I designed my whole fishing world.

20# line is a little light for the 505/6 reels as the line is small enough diameter to hang between the the spool and sideplates.  I popped off a couple mega-baits from that.  Your choice.  I have a Squidder 146L for lighter line set-ups.  I only use 2 weights of casting lures..... 4 ounce and 6 ounce to keep my casting consistent.  I loaded the tail plate with some magnets and I can zing a jig with the best of them.  I love my HS Jigmasters.

BMITCH

Hoyt, glad to see ya back here. Really glad all the 506 upgrades worked out so well.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Surfwrangler

Hoyt, I just picked up a near mint 506hs for cheaply cheap. I would like to add a stainless gear sleave and gear set. Can you specify which ones you were able to fit in there as I am getting mixed info on what would fit. Thanks!

alantani

Quote from: Surfwrangler on February 23, 2015, 05:51:01 PM
Hoyt, I just picked up a near mint 506hs for cheaply cheap. I would like to add a stainless gear sleave and gear set. Can you specify which ones you were able to fit in there as I am getting mixed info on what would fit. Thanks!

you will open and close this thing multiple times in the next few years.  start with a drag set first.  don't change out the gear sleeve unless you have damage to the old one. likewise the gear set.  leave it be for now.  look at your handle options as step number 2.  must put a fishing trip in between each step!  we should make that a rule!

BMITCH

Quote from: alantani on February 24, 2015, 07:37:23 PM

you will open and close this thing multiple times in the next few years.  start with a drag set first.  don't change out the gear sleeve unless you have damage to the old one. likewise the gear set.  leave it be for now.  look at your handle options as step number 2.  must put a fishing trip in between each step!  we should make that a rule!

Holy cow!! If that's a rule than I'm like 21 fishing trips behind! :o
luck is the residue of design.

Surfwrangler

10-4 drags and handle for now

alantani

Quote from: BMITCH on February 24, 2015, 08:40:50 PM
Quote from: alantani on February 24, 2015, 07:37:23 PM

Holy cow!! If that's a rule than I'm like 21 fishing trips behind! :o

yup, we're all about 20 fishing trips behind!

otghoyt

Ya BMITCH.  Howz yur mater hanging? 

I must have had some pretty good luck with the 500 stainless gears matching up to my 506s.  I read the low down on what the difference in spool shaft size does to some folks reels and I can say that's not an issue with mine.  I can tell you more about it when the drive edges on the pinion start to round off... I may experience a headache but for now I'm good. 

I still lapp in all my stainless gears just because they are loud.  I am still happy with my 506s as long as you guys think that 40# line is plenty safe I will continue to use them as my numero uno.  The whole idea of my stainless 506s was to enhance durability, performance and give my boys something nice when I kick off.

Do 111s or 112s or 113s have bearings?  I may have to do that.  Jam up some kind of Wahoo Special out of a 112.   385s are just strange.