COD a good book for us fisherpersons to read!

Started by gstours, October 10, 2014, 05:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

In the odd chance that somebody might have the time to read a book here is a great book with fairly short chapters.  COD, is a biography of a fish that changed the world.......by Mark Kurlansky,  its a fairly small book, easy to pack into the bathroom or the bus.  also available as e-book on Amazon.......guaranteed you will learn more than you know about the fish and history, and the constant fighting that still continues to protect and harvest the bounty that we think is ours for the taking.......I give it my thumbs up award to the author!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gst.

bluefish69

Gary

That's a good book about Cod Fish. I advise people to read it especially in the Northeast where I am. The Cod Stocks are almost gone & it looks like the fishery might get shut down for a long time. I was fishing in N.H. 12 - 14 trips each year. It was 4 hrs. & 200 miles from home each way. I haven't gone up there in a few years for Cod. The boats now are starting to fish for Whiting [Silver Hake] & our Ling [Red Hake]. To me they are better eating then Cod but for $500-$600 for 2 days fishing + hotel + meals. I'll stay home.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johnachak

We're finding more and more small Codfish on our inshore pieces. It may bode well for the future.

bluefish69

John

There are a few rock piles down at 17 fathoms that are known as Cod drops. I didn't fish that much last Summer & not at all this year yet. Certain captains know these drops. I have had 3 nice Cod on a 80+* day in July & a bucket of Ling. I should be back out there after Thanksgivng.

FatTuna

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 12, 2014, 03:53:27 AM
John

There are a few rock piles down at 17 fathoms that are known as Cod drops. I didn't fish that much last Summer & not at all this year yet. Certain captains know these drops. I have had 3 nice Cod on a 80+* day in July & a bucket of Ling. I should be back out there after Thanksgivng.

Hey Mike, I didn't know that you like cod fishing that much. I still fish for them a bit but you are correct, the draggers have ruined the fishery. It is pretty much all shorts out on the bank now. It's shut down for the rest of the year for recreational fishermen.

bluefish69

I started fishing for Cod in 1959. Fishing on Scallop Ridge off Rockaway this time of year & catching a good number of fish.

Mike

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

I just turned 15 yrs. old. That trip was on a New 23' Ulricsen Jersey Skiff.

Mike