Old 113H Spool

Started by CaptainRMF, October 17, 2014, 12:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Good morning guys. Looking for your thoughts on an old 113H spool. Tore down and cleaned the reel for repair. The Vinegar and Baking Soda bath worked wonders on the green oxidation but lost some chrome on the spool. Would like to know if using the spool like this would do any harm to the reel. It's gonna be a work horse reel for Blues, not a show piece. Thanks. Oh, by the way, just finished my dad's #140 Squidder and #500 Jigmaster in time for Black Fish and Seabass season. Just figured I post a couple of pics. Thanks for the help.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

handi2

I would just wax it up and use it. It will be fine..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Nice work on the 140 & 500, Captain --

Without going through a laundry list of upgrades (these old Penns fish just fine with stock components) --

There is no end to the upgrades which do improve drastically these two reels ability to handle multiple large fish over time -- and not get tweaked either exterior or interior.

But like Alan sez, it is a slippery slope with no turning back once you start -- so be cautious, or your checking account may dwindle rapidly.

If I had only one upgrade to choose, I would go with new CF HT-100s & flat-lapped and carefully worked SS drag discs to get the edge and flat perfect.  These should be liberally greased with Yamaha Marine grade grease.  Then put a Delrin washer under the gear.

If you already do this -- you're good.  If not, give it a try.  You will not believe how smooth the drag will be at all settings from startup to lockdown.  And much stronger drag performance.

On the old spool -- those are great even with the chrome off.  Adds character, IMO.  

Only thing I do extra, is work the inside of the spool with Emory tape and "0000" steel wool.  A line winder or drill press will be a big help.  Make sure not to mar or score the spool ends.  If you do -- its all over.  What you are trying to do is remove any piece of chrome or scoring that may cut your line.

Great job.

Thanks for showing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CaptainRMF

Thanks guys for the quick response. I figured it would be good but had to get some good opinions here first. Also, Fred, I did smooth the spool. I like using a green Scotch Bright pad plus the drill trick. It came smooth as a baby's **s. Didn't have time to upgrade as the fish are here already but over the winter will put in new drag kit from Smooth Drag on all my reels. Thanks again for the help.
Richy aka CaptainRMF