Help! Penn 130 Cam Cup #125-130

Started by gon42na, October 08, 2014, 07:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gon42na

Hi Guys,
I think I'm looking at an expensive paper weight at the moment unless someone can come up with a solution. Looking at a well used international 130 that needs a cam cup. The side grooves are rolled back to the point that the cam follower wont slide back in when the reels put in free spool and thus no free spool or there's any varying drag when it's in free spool.  There is no index number for the part but a good part number 125-130. It's the brass middle of the right side plate  thats pressed in and then secured with three setting screws. It normally comes with the side plate but both the side plate and this part number are unavailable.  Also, does anyone know if the same part from a 130 S or ST would work. The two speed cups have flat edge on one side for gear clearance but the cam  follower part number is the same in all the reels.
Has anyone got a suggestion for a solution? Oddly the reel is in great shape other than this singular although major problem.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,  Thanks

Tightlines667

You can give Tony Dubeck at Penn a call and see if he can send you the part you need. 

(215) 228-6377

Can you post pictures of the problem?  I had to replace the entire right side plate on an old 80STW that was experiencing similar problems, along with excessive corrosion around the plate where they marry.  I was able to save a damaged cam cup by dremeling it out...very slowly and carefully.  You need to make sure the cam, cam follower, and pins are not excessively damaged/marred/scored first, then carefully bebur and/or lightly grind the cam cup to be smooth, and that the slots are clean.  Don't take too much material off, since the cam assembly needs to sit in the cup with no lateral play in order for it to function properly.  Post some pics of the damaged parts if possible.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

i have some international parts.  i will check to see if i have one.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mizmo67

I checked our stock here, but we don't have any of the 125-130 to sell.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

alantani

finally had a chance to look. came up empty. :-[
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Give Tony a call if you havn't done so already.  He knows a few guys on the east coast, and the SE that might have some used side plates or parts reels.  FinNor rep knows a few guys too.  I have an 80 cup but no 130s myself.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

gon42na

All,
Apologize for not getting back sooner but this machine coughed up a hairball I guess and my son just got me running again. 
Will try to up load some pics tonight.  TL666 I tried with just some wetdry paper by hand just to take the worst knurel off to see if it could be fudged. The problem is in the inner grooves themselves where the pins slide up and down. Thought about just squareing them up but the way the edges have been knocked back its formed like a little ramp to the out side thats real unfriendly to the alingment pins.. works maybe half the time but still gets hing up on the ramp area. I think if I go any wider then then I start to put too much sloppy movement all the way up to the drag lever. Coudn't be much worse from this point so I'll give that a shot tonight and see what happens
ou guys are always such a great help, its greatly appreciated, will get pictures up soon as I can thanks