Penn 8500SS Disable the anti-reverse?

Started by MarcosG, October 11, 2014, 02:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcosG

Ok, I checked everything and all seems ok with no banding parts. I did removed the coat of grease from the springs, silent dog, the top of the upper centric using the Q-tip with alcohol and it's working fine. Now, those parts are not protect from corrosion anymore.
If it happens again I'll get the conversion parts as Sal mentioned or I will rig the anti-reverse to be always on.
One thing I noticed is that the silent dog (004A750) seems a little too flimsy (weak) for such big reel.

Thanks for all the help

Alto Mare

I'm glad you got it to work, but it still seems odd to me. Having the upper dog on the spring, that reel should have always made contact with the ratchet. :-\. If it was a 550ss or smaller, that would have made sense, those have one dog with fins and the grease does make them slip.
When you checked the dogs, did you pull them off? If you take a look at my post on servicing a 9500ss, you will notice that the dog without the fins shows wear on the underside, not easy to see from the top. Just a thought.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Just put a drop or two of Reel X up there. The parts under the rotor are pretty protected unless it gets submerged. I recently brought a 4400 back to life after being submerged in saltwater for at least a week. The dogs and under rotor parts were Ok.
Life is Good!

basto

Bob
That`s exactly how I run my 6500 and 7500,....... works for me.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

handi2

Quote from: Cone on October 11, 2014, 11:39:16 PM
I took all the transfer bars off on my reels. I never have needed to disengage both of them yet.  ;)  I have accidentally bumped the reel and had the transfer bar disengage the dogs by mistake. Sometimes I will just use one dog if the noise bothers someone but I still can engage the other one if needed. JMO  Bob

Any of them I used got the same treatment. I also installed the dogs, parts so the anti-reverse can not be off.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarcosG

"do you have the upper eccentric lever to the right and the lower lever to the left?
Yes Sal, I opened up my 6500SS and compared to the pictures that BigT also have on his tutorial for the 6500SS and its is on the same position.
Two or maybe three things that maybe weren't right: I think I had too much grease everywhere under the rotor (on top of the screws and springs). I removed all the grease carefully and made a small mix using the blue grease a reelX, with a small brush I went over again leaving a thin layer this time.
The second one was that the click dog seems that it can rest in two locations: Eighter on the side of the dog (Key 4A) on inside of the little hole of the same part with gives less tension. My was positioned resting on the side which was making the silent dog lever under the rotor crooked and and stiff. I moved the sprint so it rests inside of the hole of the dog. the lever is not crooked anymore, however every pictures I've seen, the dog rests on the side.
Now, this is what maybe what the problem really was: since I tend to over tighten screws and nuts, I think I was afraid to strip the rotor nut so I under tight the nut when I first opened it to clean. There were too much play on the rotor. I tight the nut a little more this time, There is still a little play up and down about 1/64, is it normal?(the bottom of the rotor is flushed with the the top of the housing plate). I'm afraid to tight too much (over-torque) and was wondering how tighted this nut should be.
I've saved the picture that Handi2 posted to rig the anti reverse if this happens again (Thanks Handi).

Regards to all

handi2

I have installed the spring on the clicking dog both ways. I would keep it in the hole. If the lever is crooked or wiggles back and forth the bushing may be missing. There is a plastic bushing installed into the body before the eccentric goes in. There is one for both levers. The top one and bottom one. Make sure the top one is there.

The rotor nut goes on as tight as I can get it with a 1/2" nut driver. With a socket and wrench be a little more careful but it needs to be tight. No up and down movement.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL