Penn 8500SS Disable the anti-reverse?

Started by MarcosG, October 11, 2014, 02:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcosG

The anti-reverse on my reel is acting up lately. I checked the transfer lever plate and seems ok.
I was thinking about using this reel without the anti-reverse (disable) but I don't even know if I could.

Regards

cwillis85

I'm not sure if this is the answer your looking for but i am running my 750ss with the transfer lever, basically makes the upper switch control one dog and the lower switch control the other. If you can give details on what the antireverse is doing there is probably someone here that could tell you how to repair it properly so you don't need to disable anything.
Chris

MarcosG

Thanks. Sorry I should've be more specific about the problem. The reel is moving both ways. Sometimes it engages fine, and other times keeps moving back and forth without locking.

Alto Mare

If it engages at times its your silent dog, the one with fins.
Before you purchase a replacement, you might want to give these parts a try:
http://motivefab.com/products-page/pennreels

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarcosG

I'll try them Sal. They look more heavy duty

MarcosG

Funny because it only started happening when I opened up the reel to lube. The top part (under the rotor) did not have any lube and I applied a thin coat of grease on all the screws and springs.

Alto Mare

You know, on that particular reel it could be a few other things, as the dog with the spring and the upper and lower eccentric. Your best bet is to open it up and take a look inside.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarcosG

cwillis85

Could be as simple as when you put it back together the arms on the dogs got spread open slightly more than they should have, i get a lot of silent arms that just need those arms squeezed back tight to the ratchet.
Chris

Shark Hunter

Marcos,
Just a guess, but I bet its the grease you put on the dogs under the rotor. Grease will cause trouble there.
Life is Good!

MarcosG

Yes it could be the grease. I did not take anything apart, just some strokes with a small brush with grease. All looked great at the time. I should have left alone. I'll look all the parts again with a magnifying glass and see if something moved. I will also remove the grease carefully with a q-tip and simple green and just leave the plate greased.

Alto Mare

Yes, too much grease would cause problems with the dog, but usually not on that reel, only on the smaller reels that have one dog with fins, your upper dog should still be working. Silly question, holding the reel in its position, do you have the upper eccentric lever to the right and the lower lever to the left?

MarcosG

handi2

Here you go if needed. If it were mine to use I would rig it so the anti-reverse is always on and can't be turned to free.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cone

I took all the transfer bars off on my reels. I never have needed to disengage both of them yet.  ;)  I have accidentally bumped the reel and had the transfer bar disengage the dogs by mistake. Sometimes I will just use one dog if the noise bothers someone but I still can engage the other one if needed. JMO  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD