Great trip aboard the The Gambler catching tuna on Ronz Lures

Started by Bucktail, October 11, 2014, 11:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

Just returned from a canyon trip aboard the Gambler out of Point Pleasant, NJ with the folks from NJ Saltwater Fisherman.  Had a lot of fun catching Yellowfin and Longfin tuna.  Many were caught on Ronz Lures (a bait that the captain and crew had never heard of before).  They were a bit skeptical at the beginning of the trip when I was handing them out to some of the members of our charter.  We turned them into believers. ;)

Just a jig-a-lo

bluefish69

Nice catch Bob. The Gambler is one of the better boats for this type of fishing or any fishing for matter.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

whalebreath

A lure like that will work for almost anything when worked right.

Bucktail

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 11, 2014, 11:54:00 PM
Nice catch Bob. The Gambler is one of the better boats for this type of fishing or any fishing for matter.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  I agree.  Capt Bob and his crew on the Gambler are top notch!

Quote from: whalebreath on October 12, 2014, 03:27:00 AM
A lure like that will work for almost anything when worked right.

Whalebreath, the thing about the Ronz is that it's almost impossible to work them wrong.  They have an amazing lifelike swimming action on their own when pulled through the water, all due to it's design.  It's so lifelike that, even when deadsticked it catches fish right next to people fishing live or cut bait. 8)
Just a jig-a-lo

bluefish69

Bob

If I remember right he is a Bogan & all good fishermen.

Mike

Bucktail

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 12, 2014, 03:36:16 PM
Bob

If I remember right he is a Bogan & all good fishermen.

Mike

Yes. Bob Bogan from the well known Bogan family of NJ fishermen.
Just a jig-a-lo

Dominick

Bucktail, can these Ronz lures be trolled at high tuna and marlin speed?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wascallywabit

My group was scheduled to go out the week before (Oct.4), on the Gambler, and got canceled due to 20-30 kt. winds and high seas. Just can't seem to catch it right. Those overnighters are a real crap shoot with the weather. Was hoping to get a chance to try out my 113hn and maxed out 113 tank on those albacore. Oh well, glad you guys got 'em. Maybe next year.

FatTuna

What technique do you guys use for jigging Ronz lures? I've been using them a lot lately.

Bucktail

Quote from: Dominick on October 12, 2014, 06:43:50 PM
Bucktail, can these Ronz lures be trolled at high tuna and marlin speed?  Dominick

Dom,
Not being much of a troller, I'm not sure how fast they could be trolled.  They are hydrodynamic, so my guess is they could be.  I had a customer looking to buy the tails to put on Joe Shutes and Islanders instead of ballyhoo.  He said a lot of guys are doing this now because they are easier to rig, swim better and are scented with fish oil.

Quote from: wascallywabit on October 13, 2014, 05:56:10 PM
My group was scheduled to go out the week before (Oct.4), on the Gambler, and got canceled due to 20-30 kt. winds and high seas. Just can't seem to catch it right. Those overnighters are a real crap shoot with the weather. Was hoping to get a chance to try out my 113hn and maxed out 113 tank on those albacore. Oh well, glad you guys got 'em. Maybe next year.

Sorry your trip got cancelled.  Although it rained hard the entire trip, we were fortunate to have friendly seas right up until they pulled the hook.  It got really nasty on the ride home, but most of us were in our bunks snoozing by then.

Quote from: fatstriper on October 13, 2014, 09:29:56 PM
What technique do you guys use for jigging Ronz lures? I've been using them a lot lately.

fatstriper,

I honestly don't think there's a wrong way to use them.  On this trip tuna were caught a few ways.  One was casting, letting it sink a little, and then retrieving.  Another was just to let it drift out in the chum slick with the chunk baits.  Still another method that worked well was an egg sinker above a swivel attached to a 6' leader to the Ronz.  Then just deadsticked in the rod holder.

Check out this video from a few years ago.  No need to watch the whole thing, just the first thirty seconds.  Two guys jigging (I'm in the light blue shirt on the left), one chunking, and the deadsticked Ronz in the port, stern rod holder goes off with about a 60 lb yellowfin. 8)

Just a jig-a-lo

BMITCH

Bob, I didn't know you went on that trip. NICE CATCH!! I know you guys are gettin blown out right now. I hope it calms down by next weekend. Goin back out on the voyager for one more shot at those tunas. If a blowout then I'm onto the man in pinstriped pajamas on the gambler. Buddy of mine took a 53# Friday AM off of seaside. Hope he left some for me. Tight lines ;)

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

broadway

I love ronz baits for albacore and stripers... they really hammer them hard and stay on because of the life-like feel of the bait.
When people are jigging with diamond jigs, I'm using a ronz ;)
Tightlines gents,
Dom

BMITCH

Bob, I WANT to give these a try. Does anyone down in point sell them?? Maybe fisherman's supply?? I see you guys were using green. Is this your go to color?? How about jig head weight? Also length? If you don't mind, I only got a Week to put these together.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

bluefish69

I just read on another board that The Big Jamaica just came back with 3 YFT - 21 LFT - 3 Tile - 225# Swordfish & a bunch of Dorado.

This is another Bogan great family of Captains & fishermen

Mike

Bucktail

Quote from: BMITCH on November 02, 2014, 12:29:01 PM
Bob, I WANT to give these a try. Does anyone down in point sell them?? Maybe fisherman's supply?? I see you guys were using green. Is this your go to color?? How about jig head weight? Also length? If you don't mind, I only got a Week to put these together.
Bob

PM sent Bob.  BTW, they work on stripers too. ;)
Just a jig-a-lo