International 6

Started by Stan, October 12, 2014, 12:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

I found an International 6 at a local fishing flea market.  The reel is in wonderful shape, but is missing the rod clamp (item 33 on the schematic).  I am planning on using the reel for deep-dropping, and want to purchase a ringed clamp kit from Scott.    It looks like part number 33C-200 or 33CR-200, but I have one question first.  The holes for the rod clamp screws in the stand are round and not square, and I want to make sure I get the right parts.

I haven't taken it apart yet to see what other parts I may need, but it operates very, very nicely.  The drag is smooth, but there is one high spot.  I'll know more about that when I do take it apart.

Thanks!

Stan

Alto Mare

Hello Stan, I'm not sure you're aware of what you've found. That reel is extremely rare, I wonder what you've paid for it. The clamp is very easy to find and the bolts will fit just fine.
Just in case you wanted to get something a little newer, we will have 4:1 heat treated stainless steel gears for the Jigmaster. I bet if you purchase a new Jigmaster and loaded it up with all the goodies available here, you would still have some money left over from selling that 6. ;D
Nothing wrong fishing the 6.
Is it in good shape?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Yes, there's one on Ebay now.  $500 or best offer.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Tightlines667

Cool reel.  Any chance you could post sum pics?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

Did I miss something?  There are 4:1 heat treated ss gears for the jigmaster?  Where?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Stan

Thanks, guys...

Alto:

I do know what I've found...I've loved these little reels for a long time; never expected to see one in good shape for the price I paid.  I am almost ashamed to say that I got it for 175, as I know what they've been going for on e-bay and at other shows.  I've been torn between using it and just putting it on a shelf, but these things were made to be used, so I'm going to use it.  I'll post some pics when I get a chance...The only possible mechanical issue is there is a little sticky spot with the drag, but I haven't taken it apart yet to check it out...Cosmetically, the only issue is that a former owner etched his name and social on the left side-plate :(.  That is one of the reasons I bought it to use rather than to collect.

So far the only bolts I've found have the square shank segment under the head...I think I need to make sure what I order from Scott don't have that.

George4741

Welcome to the forum, Stan.

I think the bolts you need are the same ones found on the 49 and 501.  They don't have that square shoulder on them. 

viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

I like your answer Stan, you're right, that's what they were made for.
About your bolts, George is right, the ones you need don't have a square shoulder.
I should have known, I just received three dozen from Scotts, the number on the bag is 34-49.
You did very good with that reel, good luck with it.
Sal

foakes

If you get stuck with Scott's or?

I might have some of what you need.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Stan

Here are a few before and after pics.  I will need a new drag washer...Can't find anything on line.   Does Dawn have something I can use for this

Left Side Before

Right Side Before

Left Side cleaned up

Right Side Cleaned Up

Spool and Drag Washer

foakes

Hi Stan --

Post the OD & ID of the drag washer -- someone may have one (I have a few unmarked and new).

If Dawn doesn't have one-- you could always cut one from a sheet of CF -- using the old one as a template to trace it out.

But let us know -- one of us may be able to help if we know the outside diameter and the inside diameter.

I think that reel uses a "99" stand, and I just got rid of my last 2 -- but your stand may be OK?

Great reels.

It never ceases to amaze me -- the great reels of the recent past that have been discontinued by very reputable companies.  I guess just a case of not being able to sell enough to make it worthwhile.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Stan

Thanks, Fred...Will do.

The stand is perfect; just need the clamp and bolts.

Is there any trick to putting these back together; especially the drag lever?  Other than the sticky drag, it worked fine...when I re-assembled, I can't get any drag pressure.  The schematic shows 4 springs (key number 18), but I did not see any when i took the spool off.  What you see in the picture of the spool is all there was..the bearing spring and its two white guides, pinion gear assy, drag washer, and drag cover.

foakes

Hi Stan --

Yes, there should be (4) disc clutch springs in order for the reel to achieve any drag pressure at all.

Here is a theory:

Since the reel is in such good shape cosmetically -- it is a strong possibility that someone without the proper knowledge reassembled the reel after a makeshift service -- at some point in its history.  After losing or forgetting the clutch ring washers -- And after having no drag pressure, just tossed the reel into a place where it was forgotten and never used again.  Except when he needed to rob the stand and clamp bolts, along with the clamp -- for some other reel before a fishing trip.  Happens all of the time, and that is how you get a really good buy on a reel once in a while.

No use reassembling it any further until you get the (4) clutch spring washers.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Stan

Makes sense, but I am still confused.  The reel seemed to work well, with plenty of drag, before I disassembled it.   I've worked on lots of reels, but never on this model.  I was very careful to identify each part as it came off, and not lose any.

I cannot figure out where the bellevilles actually go.  I don't see anyplace they could go and put pressure on the drag plate, which is a single piece integral to the pinion gear.  Under the drag cover, as seems to be shown in the schematic, wouldn't seem to put pressure on the drag, and there doesn't seem to be room outside of the pinion gear.