Backing for braided line

Started by Doug, October 14, 2014, 01:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

I  have never used braided line before I was wondering if you need to start with some sort of backing on a new spool . If so what is best  Thanks Doug

Keta

I use Vet Wrap (also known as Flex Wrap) on the spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Three se7ens

I use a couple of wraps of electrical tape, tie a uni knot in the line, wrap 2 coils around the spool, and cinch the knot down.  Spool the line under pressure, and it will never slip.  I have run reels spooled like this with no slipping of the line on the spool, even with big sharks pulling 25 lbs of drag for a couple of hours at a time.

Tiddlerbasher

Couple of wraps of silicon self fusing/amalgamating tape - Then 4 turns of braid tied off with an arbor knot (leaving a long tag for the rest of the braid to bear down upon).

handi2

Quote from: Keta on October 14, 2014, 02:13:29 AM
I use Vet Wrap (also known as Flex Wrap) on the spool.

I use the same type tape..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bluefish69

I do mostly bottom fishing so I 1/2 way fill the spool with either Dacron or Mono & fill the spool from there. I have fished 400' of water & never had a problem with putting 300Yds of 65# PP & a 40'top shot of 60# mono on a P332 Newell Reel. Locally I do almost the same thing except I use 1/2 spool Dacron or Mono with 40# PP & a 6'-10' top shot of 30-40# top shot because I fish mostly Rocks & Wrecks

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Doug

Mike  I do the same type of fishing at most 250 ft  but mostly 100 ft or less, I like the idea of using mono to take up some of the space on the spool I don't  need 400 yards or more of braid on the spool.  How do you prevent the braid line from slipping down between the mono ? I was thinking of using a few strips of electrical tape on top on the mono or does it really matter   Doug

bluefish69

I tie them together with a Albright or Alberto Knot. If I use Tape on the Spool then I use Rubberized Electrical Tape that adheres to itself. H D has it. Not cheap but waterproof.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.