Stock

Started by Bub B., September 17, 2010, 07:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bub B.

If one was to try and open their own reel repair shop what kind of stock should you start with???

Phinaddict

I would think that a  widely diversified stock portfolio would be a good start.  ;)

Repairing reels is not going to make one wealthy. As a side income, or, for someone retired or wealthy, it might be  a worthwhile venture.

As a start, I would think a basic assortment of bearings, drag washers of the most common reels in your area,     ( there's more Penn Internationals and Shimano TLD's in Florida than in Minnesota).
I would not go overboard as it would not make sense to inventory such a wide assortment of bearings and drag washers because there are simply too many to stock. They can be readily ordered when needed. 

The biggest investment would be in tools; drill press, mini lathe, sanders, Dremel, line winder, etc..... the list never ends!
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

alantani

the bearing list would be the first place to start, plus all of the available penn and carbontex drag washers.   next would be greases and lubes. 

i see the greatest challenge to be inventory control.  i just bought a copy of quick books and i'm trying to learn it now.  you will also need service tags, tools, plastic bags of all sizes, flat rate usps shipping boxes, address labels, a small dedicated laptop and printer,

start with quickbooks. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dawn

You'd also need to get a resale number, so you can buy wholesale.  If you are working from home, a lot of people don't think of this.  If you have to pay retail for parts, etc. you sure won't make much money. 
Then you get to do the sales tax forms quarterly, just to add to the fun.

Alan...been using Quickbooks for years, need any help, let me know.

Dawn
Dawn

alantani

Quote from: Phinaddict on September 17, 2010, 07:51:18 PM

Repairing reels is not going to make one wealthy. As a side income, or, for someone retired or wealthy, it might be  a worthwhile venture.

no truer words have ever been spoken.......

Bub B.

Thanks for the input.  I know it is hard to get rich doing this stuff.  My problem is there are only 2 places around where I live that offer service.  Both have a minimum of a 2 week or longer wait for service.  Plus I like to shoot the breeze with people but these guys won't talk to you.  Also my reels have come back missing parts.  You don't realize they aren't right until you are out fishing. 

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bub B. on September 18, 2010, 10:13:36 PM
  My problem is there are only 2 places around where I live that offer service.  Both have a minimum of a 2 week or longer wait for service.  Plus I like to shoot the breeze with people but these guys won't talk to you.  Also my reels have come back missing parts.  You don't realize they aren't right until you are out fishing. 

Wow, Bub! What city are these jerks in? Just asking so they never get any of my money. That kind of place really does no good for anyone.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

Quote from: Bub B. on September 18, 2010, 10:13:36 PM
Thanks for the input.  I know it is hard to get rich doing this stuff.  My problem is there are only 2 places around where I live that offer service.  Both have a minimum of a 2 week or longer wait for service.  Plus I like to shoot the breeze with people but these guys won't talk to you.  Also my reels have come back missing parts.  You don't realize they aren't right until you are out fishing. 

sounds like me, only i try to get all the parts back into the reel!!!!!!!!! ;D

Bryan Young

Alan,

You also add new parts to make it better and more reliable, especially if the cost is minimal :D :D :D.  That is why you are so loved and respected.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bub B.

I think this is the best and most useful site on the net.  I have the mentality that you should be able to take care of your own stuff.  That is why those guys haven't gotten any of my money in about 4 years.  Keep up the good work Alan.  By the way you setting up a free site devoted to reel maintanence says alot about you.  Most people would try to cash in on it!!