Penn 6500 ss

Started by Shark Hunter, October 17, 2014, 05:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

After tearing into the 650. I definitely see the design changes. The older gear has the screw on the cap side. Two different animals.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Yes Daron you're right about being two different animals, but that screw is not it. The bigger brothers also have one of those.
The 650 has a different design with the rotor, if you take a closer look at the ratchet, part # 10-, you will notice that it is keyed. The bigger brothers have the ratchet sitting on the rotor itself, part #27-. I like the ratchet on the rotor, but still enjoy using the 650 ;).
If you are comparing the 6500 to the 650...never mind, you're right.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Yes,
Comparing the two. Adam offered up some shims to make this happen. I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I think I'll just hold on to this set of 650 gears and keep the 6500 stock. The bearings needed to complete this are not available.
I appreciate the words of wisdom. ;)
Life is Good!

MFB

Hi Sharkie,

8 x 12mm (MR128) & 8 x 14mm (MR148) are standard. Either of these would give you enough room to make a bush.

Rgds

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Shark Hunter

Thanks Mark. I didn't even think about bushing the outside.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I cleaned all the parts and bearings and regreased it, leaving the alloy gear in. I need to move on. I have a lot more reels to go through. ::)
Life is Good!