small brands

Started by aoc, September 20, 2010, 12:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aoc

I'm looking at going in to the reel business.  The OEM manufacturer I'm looking to use says it makes reels for Okuma, Shimano, Fin-Nor,Panca, Gillmaster, and Grauvell.  Alan, do you know anything about Okuma, Shimano, or Fin-Nor using OEM companys?  And secondly, do you know anything about Gill Master, Panca, and Grauvell?

Thanks,

Andrew

alantani

i've opened up many of these reels and have seen the quality (or lack thereof) of their work.  i would tread carefully. 

here's what i understand, and i hope that you can add to it.  i was told a while back that there are 6 major fishing reel manufacturing facilites in taiwan.  supposedly you can walk into any one of them and spec out a reel, order a minumum number, order up parts, pay the bill and get any number of fishing reels shipped to you.  you will have your name on the reel, and suddenly you now own a fishing reel company.  as with many things in life, the devil is in the detail.  if you want grease on the screws, that costs extra.  if you want grease on the drag washers, that costs extra.  want a bearing packed with grease?  yup, extra.  you may even have to specify the amount of torque used to seat the various screws.  if you do not specify exactly what you want, you can expect that it will not get done.  it will be put together in the fastest and least expensive manner possible.  and do not be surprised if some of your specifications are not met, or even deliberately ignored. 

the landscape you are talking about is a minefield.  a single wrong step and suddenly your reels are failing and reputation is down the toilet.  good luck!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!