reel to your specs

Started by aoc, September 23, 2010, 03:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aoc

If someone was going to make a reel custom to your specs, what would you ask?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on September 23, 2010, 05:40:52 PM
Titanium frame and screws.
I would add complete TI, including bearings, gears,... except drag washers.  It would be an extremely light and strong reel, but the cost would be prohibitive.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

I like the TI idea, but ain't gonna pay for it.  I would prefer all stainless guts! gear sleeve, dog, yoke, pinion, main gear, etc. and obviously grease carbon fiber drags.  I don't care how much the reel weighs if I'm not casting or jigging with it.  I troll and live bait fish (menhaden and eel for stripers).  I think it may be easier to specify the type of fishing you would be doing with this newly manufactured dream reel- Jigging, drifting, trolling, or casting.  I have a piece of paper with all the things my dream wireline reel would have, but I wouldn't pay the grand it would take to build it :( 
Dom

Phinaddict

I agree, TI would be cool, but cost prohibitive. So I would stick with conventional wisdom; Aluminum frame, stainless gears/internals. I would ad helical gearing, twin greased drag  and three speed; 5, 2.5 and 1.5 to 1. Reel foot machined as part of the frame, all one piece. Clicker lever easily accesible on left side, double dog and roller bearing. Narrow and topless of course.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

callelk

For fishing salmon and steelhead, a TI framed reel with TI side plates in the 146 size, 4:0-5.0:1 ratio (2-speed would be nice though), etc, etc, etc,.  I know, there are the aluminum SX and BX2 2-speeds available but they weigh more than I want.

callelk

Quote from: callelk on September 24, 2010, 04:11:45 PM
For fishing salmon and steelhead, a TI framed reel with TI side plates in the 146 size, 4:0-5.0:1 ratio (2-speed would be nice though), etc, etc, etc,.  I know, there are the aluminum SX and BX2 2-speeds available but they weigh more than I want.

Almost forgot, a detachable line counter for mooching.

alantani

been thinking about asking randy to send me up some parts to start assembling the progear classic series reels.  that would be fun!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

try to fish

full sets of 100% ceramic bearings.thats gonna put a dent on the bills.

alantani

hard ceramics would rattle like crazy. softer stainless steel is much quieter. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

Quote from: alantani on October 25, 2010, 03:43:15 PM
hard ceramics would rattle like crazy. softer stainless steel is much quieter. 
doesnt matter w or black cat,catch rat is good cat

reelgood

Quote from: alantani on September 24, 2010, 04:13:30 PM
been thinking about asking randy to send me up some parts to start assembling the progear classic series reels.  that would be fun!  alan

Do you think they will start making reels again in the future if they get funding? Can't be that big an investment, and with your stamp of approval business should be brisk  ;D

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on September 24, 2010, 04:13:30 PM
All reels will have the AT treatment, including open bearings unless one want sealed bearing packed with grease (buyer's option).  501s and possibly 600s for greater line capacity or increase line weight.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Phinaddict on September 24, 2010, 03:02:32 AM
I agree, TI would be cool, but cost prohibitive. So I would stick with conventional wisdom; Aluminum frame, stainless gears/internals. I would add . . . Reel foot machined as part of the frame, all one piece. Clicker lever easily accesible on left side, double dog and roller bearing. Narrow and topless of course.

Well said, Phin. I would have to add the drag system and moveable right side plate from a 113HN. Oh, and the dog springs can't fly away. 

And yes, Bryan, the AT treatment (corrosion protection, lubing, and Kolekar grip) right out of the box.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Ellis Feibush

Dom, You're on the right track. Almost sounds like an Accurate reel.